1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

southern guy needs bid help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by psbeaman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. psbeaman

psbeaman Junior Member
    from nc

we really have no need for plowing or ice melt/rock salt. So I really don't have much idea what i'm talking about. I have a HOA bid who wants steps and walks scraped and salted. The bid sheet says ice melt and i know that's a more expensive than rock salt, but they may not know the difference. At the prediction of big storms the parking salted prior and plowed after.

I'm gonna plan on subbing the plowing out to a company with a backhoe or bobcat for the big stuff. I was just going to charge a per hour price for scraping with a flat shovel ($30-40 per man hour) and then a flat per bag price for ice melt (maybe 2-3 times the cost) that I'd use my push spreader on.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If they don't specify what material they want (salt, calcium chloride, potassium chloride, etc) then you can use anything. Salt is not necessarily cheaper as you use much less of the blends then you do straight salt. Salt is defiantly cheaper for roadways and parking lots but not necessarily the sidewalks. The blends have additional properties such as easier on plant life, trackless etc. your 3Xs cost installed is right in there with the averages.

Educating your customer on proper winter weather control techniques and materials can be the difference between you and your competitor. Ask them what their requirements are and help them answer your questions, then present a detailed plan including differentiating the two different ice control materials you will be using, where and why. A more detailed proposal allows you to show your knowlege, lets the customer understand exactly what services they are agreeing to and sets you above your competitors,.

Mixing blends for the walks and salt for the road/ parking lots can lower your cost compared to the compeditor using straight blends while maintaining the level of service allowing you greater profit or lower pricing.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Holy deja vu batman! :dizzy: