1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Southern guy and plowing help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by psbeaman, Feb 17, 2015.

1. psbeaman

psbeaman Junior Member
    from nc

Snow question - I'm here in North Carolina and we usually get 1-2 snow/sleet/freezing rain storms per year. Currently there is about 1-2" of sleet on the ground. I pretreated a few commercial properties with ice melt before the storm but do not have a plow or bobcat. Might have seen 1-2 lawn plow trucks here. Most guys do it with Bobcats or backhoes.

So it got me thinking. I feel I'm turning away potential business.

I assume pre treating the area and then plowing is the best method. Can you professional snow guys give me an idea?

Is there a brand of plow that would be good for the occasional use? What is the upkeep? Am I wasting my time? Buy used or new?

What and how might you charge for this? Pre treat always when x" is forecasted?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How much do you wanna spend on a plow? What trk would you be putting it on

3. psbeaman

psbeaman Junior Member
    from nc

Right now I'm driving a 2007 Chevy 2500 duramax crew cab. I would assume I would dive something very similar since I do a lot of lawn applications pulling a trailer.

I haven't considered a budget and this might be something I think about for next year. Considering we are almost in spring here. I could see a plow getting used very little. This is the first frozen precep of the year.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well I would suggest looking around at your equipment dealers and see what they carry down by you

5. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Your 2500 will easily hold any of the smaller plows that could be reasonable for the amount of snow you get. I'm partial to fisher myself (I have a XV2 on my '15 2500 crew cab) you could probably get away with something like the homesteader blade for the amount of time you would be using it.
    http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/mobile/showroom/

As far as pre-salting I know I don't do it, up here its not worth it as we just end up scraping it up when we plow and having a snowbank full of salt but it may be different for you.

6. psbeaman

psbeaman Junior Member
    from nc

Thanks guys. Also had a guy mention Meyer plows. Said they were very basic and easy to work with.

This is all just an idea. Thinking I might be able to gather my commercial mowing mowing customers and get them to sign on.

Problem is down here it's hit or miss. Might get some this year and not next year. It might even just be ice and not snow.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Do not put a homesteader on a 2500. The first time you catch something with blade the weight of your truck will crush it.

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What we got will be gone soon. What a freaking mess a snow storm is here. Why are you bothering to offer winter weather services without the equipment? I found it odd that you'll pre-treat and then no treat. Ha!

Not sure where you are but there is a Hiniker dealer in Garner on business 70 across from Agri Supply.

9. psbeaman

psbeaman Junior Member
    from nc

I don't offer snow removal service because I do not have the equipment.

For this storm I did apply some salt at the parents house and our family business. Just as a precaution and being nice. Since ice was forecasted it did help it from sticking.

I was just noticing all the parking lots in my area that were plowed from the 1-2" we got. Seems like it could be a money maker when Im sitting at home bored. Although 5-6k for a plow would take some time to recoup if there was no snow.

10. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

The amount we got didn't even hit my trigger of 2" at my contract locations in Raleigh and Garner. I used the event to test some LSS and see how it worked out. Thing I liked right off the bat was the instant traction after application but next time I'll add some food coloring so I can see where it was applied...lol.

As for plow? Hiniker is what I use and you can get one at Truck Outfitters on 70 in Garner as previously mentioned. Kevin is a really good guy.

Now, as for making the decision to buy? Yes, it is going to take you a long time to recoup the cost unless you go mobile to other locations to plow like I used to. Being a single full time daddy now I don't have that ability nowadays. I noticed a lot of dinky little plows on trucks this event and found it very comical. Thought about taking a few photos but I had stuff to do. With the ice we get, you'll want a heavy blade that can get the job done. I use a Hiniker C plow and it works well. I think you'd do better working on a treating program first and going from there if necessary. I'm looking more at liquid treatments now but my costs might increase some. Discussed it with one customer and she was absolutely fine with it costing a little more so I'll be looking at it even more.

And please charge accordingly if you do start plowing so you don't kill the market. Shoot me a pm sometime and we can talk a little. Where in NC are you?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  11. psbeaman

psbeaman Junior Member
    from nc

Will do. I think I need to post a few more times in order to pm.

I'm over in Wilson. Which is about 40 minutes east of Raleigh.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Oh, ok. Saying you pre-treated some commercial properties made it sound like you were offering winter weather services. My mistake. Plow dealers are going to be far and few between around Raleigh and even Wilson. Craigslist will have something now and then.