1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Source for driveshafts

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by canoebuildah, Feb 9, 2011.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I got stuck in a deep culvert on the side of my road plowing and had to get lifted out by an excavator. I bent my rear driveshaft. The Chevy dealer wants $525. There is a shop about an hour away that will rebuild it for $400 but I need to bring it in, leave it and then another trip to pick it up.

I have been searching online but can only find the short 43 1/2" rear driveshaft, not the 7' one piece that I need for my 2005 Chevrolet 2500 6.0L extended cab truck.

Does anyone have a source for rebuilt driveshafts online or in the New England area?

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

junk yard heck of a lot cheaper
  3. canoebuildah

I have been calling the local (and not so local ones) and nobody has any inventory in what they tell me is a "new" truck. Price quotes for used ones are in the $300-400 range plus shipping a seven foot driveshaft.

Sounds like I might have to go with the dealer part. Our next big storm is forecast for Monday night. I can't wait too much longer.
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

did you tell the local place its aluminum that most newer gm trucks use if you have that one ?

the price will be a lot more.

fast n easy new from dealer and scrap the old for money back in your pocket.

and dealer will prob not have u-joints or slip yoke on it.

could do the the cat guys do. . . . .

go to walmart at night. 2 bricks to block the wheels. 7/16 wrench for 4 bolts on rear yoke. prybar pop out the shaft and run fast. :nono:
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

alot of machine shops have the ability to make one or fix yours
  6. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

The Chevy Dealership in Monticello Ky (down south off Lake Cumberland) got hit a few years ago, got every converter on ever thing on the lot in one night!

had to be a whole crew of crooks!

I would call around to every junkyard in the country, also do a search online for companies that rebuild/make drive shafts.

You can always do it yourself and have the local place balance it, that is if you are good at fab work.

Or, if you do not want to go sweetk30's way, go test drive a Chevy that has your driveshaft in it, take it home swap it out and take the truck back complaining about the crappy way it shakes! LOL
  7. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

in Texas, say they do alum dive shafts

do a search there are a bunch out there, but if you have to be up and running soon you may have to bite the bullet and go to the dealer...
  8. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

9. canoebuildah

Thanks Dave. I found one that might work for my about 40 minutes away for $225. I sent them an email tonight. Hopefully I will hear back tomorrow morning in enough time to cancel OEM part order.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try a medium to heavy duty truck parts dealer in your area. I have one in my area that carries whole catalogs of Dana and Spicer parts. They had front axle shafts in stock for my Bronco II. For about 2/3's of what Ford wanted. They did drive shafts too. Shorten or lenghten. Balance or weld.
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you try Brake Service in Bangor? They will usually turn them around in an hour or so.
  12. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Hopefully things will work out for ya, stay outta those culverts! :drinkup:
  13. canoebuildah

I am 3 1/2 hours south of Bangor, so unfortunately that's a lot of travel time.
  14. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

15. canoebuildah

Thanks for the advice. Using www.car-part.com, I located a used one 30 minutes away for $225. Already installed on my truck and running again.
  16. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY