1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sound off signal 6/60 strobe kit

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by kyler, Mar 13, 2009.

1. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

Does anyone run this kit: sound off signal 6/60 strobe kit. anyone have any vids? how visable are they during the day? I found a kit with 4 bulbs. 3 way switch, and 2x4 switching...let me know what you guys think. thanks

2. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

That's the STAR signal right? I have the star 6/90 which is great!!! Day time is good-not great. Although I will say that if you want to be seen during the day you'll need something REALLY bright. The patterns are really good. In fact I kept the factory preset which was a random, high output pattern.
    What kind of truck do you have? Fill out your signature...that will help...

3. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

I have a 2006 gmc sierra...No its a sound off kit...6 bulbs with 60 watts. I;m also looking at the 4 bulb 80 watt kit...do you have any vids of your setup? I am also looking at teh star kit...where did you get it?

4. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I got it on ebay. I spend a lot of time on there in the winter. It was a really good deal.
    6 bulbs included. 90 watts. Lots of different ways to wire it up. Like 24 different patterns. Really good so far. All I can vouch for is how well they work, not for how long since I have only had them in for about 2 months. I don't have any pictures. I can take some tomorrow. Yours would be easier to put in the reverse lights since there's more space. Let me see if I can get you a link to the store where I bought them...

5. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

6. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

looks like a good kit...are you running 2 up front and 4 in the rear and you control them with 2x4 switching?

7. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I just run all of them with one switch. It's easier to install that way. Probably would have taken me 15 more minutes to put in another switch. I am going to change the switch that I have to something else so I might do that then.
    I have 2 up front in the turns and 2 in the cargo lights, and 2 in the reverse lights. The back of the truck is bright as hell. I just need to figure something else out for the front of the truck. Some led deck lights or something.
    But with this model you can do all different kinds of switching. hi power, lo power, each set on individually, 2 on, 4 on, there's a lot of options.

8. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Here's two pictures of how it looks with the strobe bulb in the cargo light.

cargo strobe (2).jpg

cargo strobe (5).jpg

9. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Why are there wire nuts in your lamp housing?

10. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Those wires were for the cargo lights. Since I had to get rid of them to fit the strobes in I just put wire nuts on, in cast I ever need to wire the cargo light back in. Which wouldn't really work anyways since I made the holes big enough to fit the strobes in. I tried to take the whole clip out which looked better, but the problem is that the 3rd brake light uses that clip to get power, so I had to leave it in and wire nut the wires.

11. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

If those wires are live, you might want to crimp some terminals onto them. Wire nuts are not designed for automotive use. With vibration, they can work their way off.

12. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Well, they would have to work their way off, and I would have to be stupid enough to forget that I don't have cargo lights and push the button in the cab. I don't think I will do all that.

13. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

looks good thanks for the pics...I need to man up and drill holes in my headlights (highbeams)...right now that is what is holding me back haha

14. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

kyler, why your high beams? You should have hole where they are supposed to go in the plastic housing on the back of the lights. They will have little blue or other colored pieces of tape where the holes are suggested by the manufacture.

Here's a video of the kit in my truck. The clip is a little short, and you can't get the full idea but at least you can get a glimpse of what you can do. This is my truck, so if you have any questions just ask.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lPM1vB4ycc

15. publicsafety

publicsafety Junior Member

I have the 90 watt kit in stock for about 175.00 I'll throw in free shipping if this is something you are interested in.

I have installed these in many of the local volunteer firefighters around here. The Sound Off stuff is really top notch.

Let me know if I can help.

Thanks again.
    -Sean

www.ThePublicSafetyStore.com

16. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

What kind of other stuff you have? I am looking for something to put inside the truck facing forward. I would like to put something under the visors that is a permanent mount type. I also will be getting a back rack this week and I am wondering what I should put on it. I would rather do led for this instead of the strobes. I like the strobe, but I think that I would be better off with the leds. I like the strobes for the hide aways better, but leds for everything else.

17. publicsafety

Have plenty that would work. The Sound off UltraLite comes to mind. I have one mounted on my headliner. If you want me to take a picture of it I could. When you put it up to the windshield no flashback at all.

If you are looking for a full size lightbar, our special is the Sound Off ETL5000 fully loaded led bar for 1600 shipped to your door. 5 year warranty and just one of the best bars out there and I am not just saying that because I sell it - it's just really that good.

Let me know if you need anything else email or just call...

Sean
    http://www.thepublicsafetystore.com
    1-800-646-1086

18. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I was on your page looking for some TIR 4 or 3 stuff............do you guys have anything? Want to order the 90 watt strobe kit but wanted to make it all one purchase. How much longer will that be on sale?

Bill

19. publicsafety

Bill,
    We have the sound off LED3 which is just as bright as the Whelen TIR3 and actually a bit smaller so you can hide it easier. Pretty sure it has more patterns as well. Highly recommend!

If you want something more powerful let me recommend
    the Sound Off Ghost. This thing really packs a punch and is way brighter than any "TIR4" type light. 6 led's in the thing with split and solid patterns. Plus you can sync up the LED3 and the ghost with the same patterns.

The good news all 3 items are on sale.....

Email / call if you need help.

Thanks!
    -Sean

http://www.thepublicsafetystore.com/ghost.html

http://www.thepublicsafetystore.com/soled3.html

20. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Shot me your e-mail address. Also are these self contained or do they need to be installed with some type of power supply or are they a self contained unit like the Whelen TIR4??
    Bill
    billk726@aol.com