1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sound Off on Gloves

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SidelinePropMgr, Jan 13, 2009.

1. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr Junior Member

I am looking to purchase gloves for all my crew members. I have tried many different types, just wondering what each of you feel are the best gloves for the job. Need to understand that I have sidewalk crews whose hands come in contact with salt. Just wondering what types of gloves everyone else is using.

2. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

I Use Ski Gloves From Costco Or Sam's Club. their "Head" brand and they will not get cold period. really cheap to. about 10 bucks, their waterproof etc...

3. PlowKing50

PlowKing50 Junior Member
    from NW Iowa

I wear a pair of those two-tone brown KINCO gloves and love them! I think they're the pigskin leather. I use them for shoveling and snowblowing for the past 3 years and they're still going strong. Cost somewhere around $8.

4. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

the KINCO ones are great...i even use them skiing bought a new pair last week for 11bucks

5. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I use Ironclad Cold Condition gloves.

I like them, not real big so easy to handle salt bags, open them, spread, shovel, snow blow, etc...

6. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

Same thing I use... use them for work as well. Work for the Water Department in town and they are nice on Water main breaks... not the warmest but best of both worlds. Keep you warm and you can actually hold tools with them on.

7. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

go with ironclad, not real bulky and you can still function with them on. I have tried ski gloves, and they are fine when you are on equipment with no cab or heat, but your fingers are the size of polish sausages and you can't do anything with them on.

8. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Member

I use the KINCO ones.

9. Navigator7

Navigator7 Junior Member

I pump concrete for a living and find nothing better than Sterns diver gloves. The 7"'ers not the long sleeved ones.
    Seattle Marine on line under $20.
    They aren't good if you are doing rough work or a lot of hard hand work but my hands can be soaking wet in 10º cold and they are warm. I can manipulate my joystick control with ease and have lots of "touch". I can write with a pen and light a cigarette.

Typical work gloves for me are very cold and useless. I can open quick disconnects, shovel my truck out if stuck, move dunnage, sweep snow off the truck, fill the truck with fuel when it's bitter cold. The worse part is reaching into your pocket for a cell....but I fixed that with a Jawbone ear bud and haven't looked back.
    It real nice to be taking an order when your working!

If your blood is not pumping I think you'll get cold with any glove. The pair I have now have lasted a year and I have three pair on order...but the latest snows have closed down the cascades for a while.

I Highly recommend them if you are around water or in very cold temps. Around 20 and no wind they get kinda hot if you are working.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Whats Dunnage????

And I wear the insulated ironclads, they're ok till they get wet, if it's sloppy I like those cotten ones dipped completely in rubber like firemen used to wear, thats what we give all of the shovel crews. Warm and cheap.........perfect.

But I like the diver glove idea, maybe I'll have to grab a pair of those for myself. Are they hard to get on and off if you sweat them up??

11. Navigator7

Navigator7 Junior Member

It's wood you place under an outrigger to keep from sinking into the muck.

They are harder to get off with wet hands that's for sure but not bad.
    They have excellent traction and feel.
    You can put them on wet...and in no time the gloves are doing what they do best.
    You can reach into slush puddles, put on chains....and do all kinds of things you just wouldn't want to do with other gloves.

I tend to use my brain more than my back.....but if I knew I was going into a real cold hard working situation...I'd order more gloves and consider that the cost of doing business. Also...wool socks with insulated inserts! Killer nice on the feet.

12. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I wear those latex dipped winter gloves. They make a pair for winter. You can get them at home depot and I got a pari at big lots also

13. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Junior Member
    from Midwest

New guy here.

Just picked up a pair of Ice Armor gloves.

http://www.clamcorp.com/icearmor_gloves.html

LOVE 'EM. I just got 'em yesterday, but we had five hours of shoveling in -14f with -30f windchlll. Hands never got cold, they aren't too bulky, and according to an ice fishing buddy of mine, are completely waterproof. For $30, I'm extremely happy.

Now they've got me looking at their Blue Suit... Looks nice...

http://www.clamcorp.com/icearmor_blue.html

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I use those gray flanneled cotton ones (Boss Therm- plus) with the silicone dipped palm sides- I forget the brand cost under $3 per pair. They're reasonably warm cold , especially if you're active, and great control. They have blue dip (Boss Grip-plus) which is un lined (un flanneled). I also used the nylon with purple rubber dip which were awesome until the dip cracked. Mind you, I only use any gloves when out of the truck- usually shoveling.

15. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

I use lined buckskin gloves I buy from Sams Club-

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=322617

[​IMG]

2 pairs for $20. I rotate pairs every hour or so- keep one pair on the dash with the heat blowing while I'm using the other.one. I do residential sidewalks, steps and small driveways using shovels and snowblowers. I was out last night for 10 hours and it was -7 by the time I finished up- no problems staying warm. Rotating the pairs of gloves is the key to keeping the fingers warm, IMO.

16. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

x2 on Ice Armor
    double lined waterproofing, and breathable.

I grab slush all the time removing tie down straps and no problem. Good fit, not bulky.
    If I get to hot shoveling I keep them on and remove my coat.
    I did this morning and it was -7 not including windchill.

17. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

usually go with a pair of buckskin or deerskin gloves, and I always put a pair of disposable vinyl gloves underneath them. The vinyl works well to keep the water out, and act as a mini greenhouse for your hands, keeping the warmth in.

18. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

http://www.gemplers.com/product/135788/Gorgonz-Waterproof-Exhale-Gloves

I wear these and really like them. Best winter work gloves I've ever had. Stay pretty warm, pretty good dexterity... Real durable. Splitting many cords of wood hasn't put a dent in them. The exhale thing is okay. Really like the glove for the other reasons though. Wouldn't catch me buying 10 pairs of them though... lol

19. Snowplowkid

Snowplowkid Member

LL Bean mittens and gloves. I have "the best pair they sell" in both. Pricey but very warm. Keep a handwarmer beanies in the pair im wearing and not wearing. Very toasty! Not too bulky. Was out for 4hours today and never got cold.

20. WINTERGROUP

WINTERGROUP Member