1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

------SOS----- ultra mount burns up motor (won't shut off)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dissociative, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

last night my new last year ultra mount pro-plus did something odd.

first i notice the battery went to 10volts...and plow raises VERY VERY slowly...i get out and plow motor is running but plow is not moving...and i am not touching controller. motor is hot and begins to smoke...5 seconds went by..it must have been doing this for a while...anyways i yank the power plug and it stops...go inside..yank joystick..let it cool .plug back in and it doesn't work at all...

drive home...after i swapped controller to be safe....no action....swap solenoid and still no action...

i wiggle now loose wires on motor (hot and ground seem loose inside motor) and i get half azz action...lazy...

works same on both controllers..

solenoid stuck and plow was running till it burned going nowhere due to no valve action is all i can figure...on a 1 year old pro-PLUS...nice...

any advice on the situation?..should for 120 i just have one of these on shelf??? i have a alternator for the truck and 2 extra battery's?...and a solenoid but never figured motor failure..

anyways....anyone got any pics of how easy it this to do?...plow is under warranty but i need it asap so i may just bite it and do it and give them the old one to warranty.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

motor

kinda sound's like some thing ,motor or a power cable went dead short right to ground . could be the motor that failed ,but i would check all your cable's for contact and rubbed through . hears a pdf if you have the relay system . http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/27097_061503_web.pdf

3. Dissociative

nope....iso box...ultra mount

also..like i said..it works now if all you do is wiggle the motor wire where it melted the plastic insulator out of the housing..

i am almost positive the solenoid stuck in the on position....when i pushed into a pile and raised it i bet it stuck..although it could have also stuck when i was turning it ..

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

The motor wearing out and direct shorting to ground could probably melt the solenoid as it did the connection at the motor. I had it happen to me on a fairly new motor go and upon disassembly it was evident why. Moisture got in to the plow motor, rusted the shaft, that wore the bushing out, motor grounds out and melts stuff in the circuit. In my case, the terminal leading out of the solenoid showed signs of melting and moved in the case, however it did not stick in the on position.

I'd say it was the motor fried the solenoid rather than the other way.

5. Dissociative

funny thing is the sol. is working fine now...worked fine after i unplugged the motor....no melting at all...

so mabey the motor did just crap out.......either way it was just running its arse off when i found it not going anywhere....sounded horrible..but it works now....barley...

6. Dissociative

it's getting a blizzard solenoid now as i was told they are much larger and more durable......and a new motor i bet in the AM..

BTW...try to find any parts on a Sunday...

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Was going to call you earlier and see where you were at with the plow when the boss called and told me i had to head into work.

Looks like your still stuck until the am to get a new motor.

8. Dissociative

yeah....now my dealer tells me to take it apart myself and he will swap motor....nice...otherwise i may wait 3-5 days....

got a spare motor also and goign to shelf it for future repairs....138...ouch...

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What, 3-5 days for the dealer to swap a motor on a plow that is under warranty????

Think i would find a new dealer!!

10. Dissociative

Never go to regional truck in addison....they suck balls...

11. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

Low voltage will cause the relay to not hold in tight and ark inside, and some times it ark welds it self togeather. I would make sure you use a new relay with the new motor. I think the blizard relay is a good plan.

12. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Just curious, but did you by your plow from them and did they install it for you? I bought mine from Tim Wallace in Bolingbrook and installed it my self. Now there is a short in the headlight wire harness. (inside the molded plastic part you cannot do anything with) My question is, How do you warranty anything through Western because the dealer says I have to buy new parts, wait for the old to be sent to Western and IF they say it is bad they will at that point refund my $$$. WTF?? Is all I can say.
    Sorry about the motor that is BS. My truck is getting new U-joints AGAIN right now. They just did them in Sept. 08.:gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Were they replaced with the Spicer joints or something else?

14. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Whatever the dealer has in stock. I will ask them as it has to go back. I have a nasty shudder/shake only in 4wd. They also only changed the pass. side axle u-joint too. So now they getto do it all over again.

15. Dissociative

well, i got one warranty exchange and bought a 2nd spare for 140...keeping the paperwork on that one extends my warranty for original now...heheheheh

my joystick also died the same time...no more up...so i don't know if thats related or the cause or what...perhaps the joy shorted out and was powering the solenoid to run the motor but not the up valve till it fried.

perhaps the solenoid was fine, and not the cause...but rather the joystick?....who knows

16. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I would certainly replace the solenoid if you didn't. That kind of happened to mine, the solenoid stuck on, I ran up and unplugged the main power cable to make it stop. After that it worked but got stuck on a few more occasions before I got a chance to replace the solenoid.

-Jer

17. Dissociative