1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sort of newb to plowing...

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wit2003, Feb 13, 2008.

1. wit2003

wit2003 Junior Member

Well I used to plow parking lots and office buildings for a company. But now i got my own truck, mainly for home depot runs and moving the motorcycle and things like that. I got a 1985 Ford F250 with 73k miles and a fischer plow!! I mainly plan on using it to do my own driveway and my parents driveway and a few friends. Definately not looking to make a living from plowing.

My question starts with a simple question of how you base where your going to start plowing in a driveway. My parents driveway almost like a quarter of a circle, ending in front of the garage. My assumption would be to push the snow in the first part of the driveway, then back drag the stuff in front of the garage door and then back up and push that snow either straight or around the curve and out of the driveway.

How would you do it if otherwise? Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

2. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Welcome wit2003!

Depends on if the driveway is flat, uphill, downhill, narrow, wide, curbs, shrubs, see my point?

If it were flat in and not too long, I'd clean up the area by garage first, ya know... the door yaad, where they paak the caa's. lol If you can get in, push into areas that it can be out of the way for turning around, and don't forget melting. Lot's of plow guys put the snow were when it melts, then the melted stuff covers the driveway. LOL, maybe on purpose if they sand? hehe. :eek:

Then I would push the rest out to the street, (not onto or across) that's a no-no. :nono: Just push to the edge of the driveway and drive over the pile onto the road and push the snow back into the sides of the drive area. Sometimes there's not enough room for that so use your own judgement. Now don't forget if you're on a main road you have to dodge the finger givers, crazies, people who don't see 3000 flashing lights and so on. :dizzy:

Now don't forget not to make those piles 5ft high or they won't be able to see pulling out! Lift your blade and knock em down.

Hope that helped a little.

Steve:D

3. wit2003

wit2003 Junior Member

it is a fairly flat driveway. Thanks for the advice, that is basically how i figured it should be done.

Thanks!!

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

free advice which gets real anoyying after awhile. push all snow back as far as u want it the first time. cause its not moving after that. attempt to plow when its not rush hour or ull waste alot of gas and people get anoyyd when ur against ur pile with ur butt out in the road. i mean i dno what do they excpect u to be god and get back in the driveway. who knows