1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry if this has been said a 1000 times.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by almostbk1stday, Feb 17, 2006.

1. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

I absolutely refuse to do anymore residential customers ever again. My contract states I will remove snow 2-3 hours A F T E R the snow stops. Now, I have never waited for the snow to stop prior to plowing but I still get calls...."Where are YOU?'

Just the other day, I asked a lady after we got a HUGE dump, "Were you late for work today?" She said, "Yes". I asked why. She said "The roads were terrible" I then replied, "You do realize that I take the same roads as you."

I was seriously thinking of never plowing again but realize now that I will ONLY do commercial sites and maybe 10-15 residential (MAXIMUM) but have a dedicated truck for those customers. My partner and I have decided that we will not include walkways as part of our service and will charge no less than $395 per house per season. Even at that price, its still not worth the headache and hassle.

Since upgrading my truck, my business has doubled this year and I already have 6 more commercial sites as customers next year. My contract expires April 1st for residential accounts (Laid out clearly on the contract) and for those 3 customers who complain to all hell this year, I pray for a 2 foot dump just so I can tell them where to go.

Thanks for letting me vent. I am a disgruntled snowplower that is thankful I dont work at the post office.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So, how do you really feel? lolxysport xysportxysport

Just stop doing res altogether or you can could keep the good ones and cut the rest loose you will be happier:waving: JMO.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I work under the theory, unreasonable complaints this season, no contract next season. God created everything for a reason, leave the problem customer for the lowballers, that's what they exsist for.

4. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

Last sunday the snow stopped here about 10 am. We had about 18 inches the secondary wernt plowed and a customer called at noon wanted to know where i was , she had to go out at 2oclock! Go figure.

5. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

I agree with keeping the good ones and saying bye bye to the a holes. I kid you not....I received a call from a customer at 7am asking if I "forgot" to plow her house. The snow did not accumulate to our trigger until 5:30am.

Another lady, who was very nice to inform me that her house is located at the highest point in richmond hill thus making HER the number one house to plow. She said "You should start at the top (her place) and work your way down." :dizzy:

On a lighter side, there are 3 homes that are for sale. These homes ALWAYS plow their own driveway prior to me showing up. Its a beautiful thing. payup

6. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Exactly,

Get rid of the complainers.
    Last year I had a guy call me during every storm, he seemed to think that he was first on the list of approx 70 customers. He just kept calling and calling:gunsfiring: So one day he calls and I picked up the phone and I was right down the street from his house he say's Jason where are you? so I reply I am in my truck working where are you? he did not like that so much I finally had it with his whining so I told him that he needs to stop calling me because if I spent my whole day answering his calls that I would get nothing done. The very next day he got a letter of termination.

Jason

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just a thought, if you put as much time and energy into going around and soliciting resadentals and turn that toward commercial lots. Take that knowledge and solicit more business, sure there are PITA business to but look around. the good ones out weigh the bad ones. just keep a few res (the good ones) for after your done with your commercial route for some extrapayup

8. mole

mole Senior Member

Have you ever asked the complainer's if they called there local town plows to see where they are. I have asked my complainers that question because they pay more in taxes than they do for my contract. Boy does that shut them up quick.

9. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

:yow!: :yow!: last sunday i wanted to rip almost all of my peoples heads off as i called the night before and specifically say i will not be there until after the storm and it WILL be done by the following morning, well half way through the storm i get two calls of "where are you?" where the f*** do you think i am, im driving around with my plow on working, they all think we just sit at home to piss them all off.. then one lady called me four times and the third time i go ill be there at 930, 3 hours earlier than i planned on and she called me back 30 min later saying "jon, r u sure your going to be here bc i have to get to a meeting at 900 tomorow morning" no i wont be there you idiot although theres about 12 hours between then and now... dam that felt good its to bad you cant just flip out on ppl.. thanks for letting me steem and you guys above agreeing with me

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I state in my contract that residentials will be done as soon as possible. If it stops snowing at 5am, commercial accounts will be done first, then resi's. So it could be 9 or 10am before they're done. I also tell people that when I speak with them. Yet I still get calls every time....and you always will because people think they are the only person in the world you have to make happy.:nono:

11. Dupesy

Dupesy Member

Wow, I guess I got lucky with my customers. Only one complaint so far this year, and it was actually a legitimate concern. Not bad for 24 accounts.

12. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

My residential contract...."Snow will be removed within 12 hours after the snowfall has stopped"
    I clearly read that line to everyone who ever signed it.
    I also told them that was worst case, but I was covering my butt.
    Of cousre, had the complainer, told him- don't like it: bye, bye. Let the lowballer come in and the next time it snowed and I drove by his house the lowballers truck had slid into his garage door. Oh yeah, by the way, the garage happen to have his brand new corvette in it.:nod:

13. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Offer a tiered pricing service:

Snow removed within XX hours after storm end (8 hours), standard price.
    Snow removed prior to 8 hours service charge of xx (percentage of standard price, usually 50 to 100% more). Since I added that, I've never had a complaint . Have 1 doctor that has to have his residence plowed earlier - he's on a commercial contract with a 2 inch trigger and has sent me a "thank you" check each year.

14. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

If a customer needs their driveway done right away we consider it EMERGENCY
    SERVICE so we charge more 3 years since our last complaint !
    payup payup