1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry if covered before 3500 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cf1128, Oct 21, 2009.

1. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

I went to purchase new 3500 4x4 diesel pick up, all approved with loan, find out from Fisher dealer up here he will not put on an 8ft blade??? On any 3500 diesel including dually??
    some input please? I know there is no snow plow prep package but huh?WTF?
    This all started after I was turned down by Ford Credit, and approved 0% by GM
    Again sorry if this is an old forum, I searched it and found nothing but may have looked it up wrong.
    With the way the banks are going, this started out as a used dump purchase, and it has turned into a new pickup purchase, not what I wanted, and since this last info, something I won't do. What's the deal?
    They say the front axle can't handle the diesel and the plow. Help.
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It's all about liability,Too much weight like Fisher says,but that doesn't mean that you can't do it.If you're handy,just buy the plow and install it yourself.It would help if you beef up the front end and of course have rear ballast.
  3. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Everyone told me the same thing. When GM talks about the weight on the front axel, they include 6 passengers for the crew cab. Just go buy the plow and install it yourself. A coupple of buddies, case of beer, and about 5 hours. Or you can buy it and call around to some shops and see if they will install it. The smaller shops will do it without question. Don't worry, the truck can more than handle it.
  4. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Will they install the mount for a smaller plow that happens to use the same mount? Buy it in 2 parts. Lots of people sell trucks but keep the plow and have a new truck side installed on the new truck.
  5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

3500 regular cab diesel SRW can get plow prep if I recall, so not all 3500's are like that. You still are limited to size though.
  6. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

I don't understand "include 6 passengers." Each truck is given a weight rating per axle, total carrying weight and tow capacity. If you want to know how much your axle can carry, subtract the current weight (including however many passengers) from your rating and that number gives your remainder of carrying capacity.

But, because a plow is "hanging" in front of the front axle (vs. directly above), the plow actually puts a higher load than the actual weight of the plow.

Give me the numbers (current weight both axles, wheelbase and weight of the plow) of your truck and I'll show you why they won't mount it. With this number, you can compare it with the rating found in the door jam.

In a post I commented on another thread, I bet there are alot of trucks with 8-9ft plows and V-plows that are well above the max rating of the front axle. I just bought a 7.5 straight plow and found out I'm over my rating (not much), but I can offset it with ballast, rear of the back axle.
  7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

All I'm saying is that the truck can handle it, and then some. But please figure it out for me. I'm very interested. 2007.5 NBS 2500 Crew cab/short bed. Front axel is approx 4800lbs and rear is approx 6000lbs. Have a 900lb plow on it. Oh and my svelt figure driving. Thanks in advance
  8. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

These numbers you gave me appear to be the capacities. Did you get these numbers from the door?
    I need the weight on the front and rear axles and the wheel base of the truck. Go to a weigh station along the highway or a land fill that will give you the weight on both axles.
  9. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

There is NO diesel setup allowed by GM, NO plow prep offered for any 2500 or 3500 HD, they all say the front axle can't handle it according to "rating".
    My local Fisher dealer mirrored that opinion, they would mount a 7.5 not an 8 footer.
    I spoke with about 10 real world guys that own these trucks and plow for a living and they all laughed, and put them on themselves which is what I am doing. I have the 8 footer ordered, the 1000# ballast sonnet tube plans, and bought front and rear Timbrens last night.
    Now more B@ll$^&R not only can the dealer not find a 2009 xtended 3500 he cant find a 2500hd either, 8 foot bed. Very frustrating!!!!!
  10. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

very frustrating for GM owners. period. fisher dealer told me heavy plows were cracking GM frames that's why they went uber-conservative now. 7'6" on a diesel?? no way
  11. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

been plowing with a gm 2500 or 3500 since 2000 have owned 5 different trucks with different plows and have yet had a frame crack last 2 years been plowing with a 2500HD crew cab short bed diesel with a 8' v blade and have had no problems been a mechanic at a gm dealer for 24 years and camn say i never recall any plow trucks with cracked frames
  12. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Thanks for the replies.
    The dealer couldn't locate any xtra cab long beds, its just a work truck so I am taking delivery of a One ton reg cab diesel/allison.I am putting on an 8.5 poly xblade.Thanks again.
  13. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

NewDude was right.
    There is a plow prep package on the 3500 Regular Cab 4x4. It cost $498 or something like that, gives you a skid plate some other BS and qualifies you for a $1000 business choice rebate, qualifies you, not a definite.
    Here is the best part....:yow!: It doesn't matter, 7.5 Fisher is the largest you can mount by specs. What a huge joke.
    Doesn't matter, I decided to go with the 9 foot poly, they do not make an 8.5 poly, so it was 8.5 Stainless or 9 foot poly. I cheaped out and went poly, but actually prefer it for a few reasons, so I am happy.
    Or as happy as I can be considering wrong truck, wrong configuration and $42000 spent.