1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sore neck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by skinut2234, Jan 10, 2011.

1. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

Last time I went - I was plowing for 12+ hours..... I got out every few hours to stretch etc...
    While driving though- my neck gets really sore (I'm assuming from being in seated position for hour)- Any tips/tricks to relieve this? (outside of coffee and Motrin)

2. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

a good massage therapist !

Massage%20Therapist%20and%20Client_full.jpg

3. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Bananas & Gatorade.

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

My wife got me a neck massager for x-mas and it works great, wrap it around my neck for 1/2 hour and i'm feeling much better.

5. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

Bananas are my secret plowing weapon!

You could try one of those neck dougnuts.. It all has to do with your posture while you are in the truck. Make sure you have proper lumbar support, use a small pillow maybe if you don't have adjustable lumbar in your seat and try to adjust your headrest so you can actually put your head against it. When we haul I spend a lot of time in the seat of our stripped down F350 (basic bench up front) and have the same problem as you. Last time we went I used a extra sweatshirt for my lumbar support and rolled up the hood of the sweatshirt i was wearing for a little added neck support and it seemed to make a world of difference.

6. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

i don't know of many remedies, but i do know all that head turning looking out for stuff and backing and what not does take a toll on the neck and shoulders

7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Talk to a good Chiro about it. Otherwise, a neck pillow would be good.

8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

THIS is actually what I went to college FOR.....Lol!

When you turn your neck only ONE way, you create an imbalance in the musculo-dynamics of the neck and shoulder capsule. One side gets stronger than the other and pulls on the weaker side constantly, causing soreness, headaches, pain..etc. Kinda like a new battery and an old one in a dual set up.

Make sure to look over your shoulder BOTH ways, use the unused side when you are just stretchiing or resting on your break. Make sure to develope your neck equally on both sides like a wrestler or a middle linebacker does.

The pain will go away when the imbalance is equalized.

9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Does anyone know why John and Fargo crave bananas and Gatorade?

10. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

the potassium helps with joint pain... thats about all i know.

i eat bananas b/c i had broke a bunch of bones in my one hand and it locks up from time to time due to arthritis. the dr told me to try and eat a banana each day wesport

11. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

I don't to the gatorade part really but I'm sure it has to do with staying hydrated. The potassium in the 'nanners really seems to help me feel a whole the better the next day.

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have a compresion fracture and a bulging disc in my lower back. I take Advil Liquid Gels and drink blue Gatorade. At night I drink Diet Coke or Dr. Peper so I can stay up. I just take two Advil every 5 or 6 hours and it helps quite a bit.

Advil bottle.jpg

Gatorade.jpg

13. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I've been doing the banana thing for sore muscles since High School sports, lots of times if I wake up sore, a banana or two helps more than Advil.

I guess the gatorade is just a hydration thing. Too much coffee(caffiene) just drys me out, so I drink coffee, gatorade, & water depending on how long I've been out. Gatorade also seems to help get over a flu when feeling puny in my experience.

14. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yup, potassium is a natural muscle relaxant. There is potassium in Gatorade.

Get this, there is a BOATLOAD in Campbell's V-8 vegatable Juice. Chug one of those bad boys and you will feel fine.

15. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

This last year I installed backup camera's on 2 of my trucks. Life saver on the back and neck.

16. ihwild

ihwild Junior Member

Any problem keeping the lenses clear on those cameras? Or tricks?

On the back issue don't forget to stretch out your back. I twisted some lumber vertebrae one day and i couldn't believe how much pain it caused and stiffness in my neck. (I did it repairing belts on a truck in a parking lot)
    Rich

17. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I just make it a point to keep my mirrors clear, I use them constantly, rarely looking over my shoulder at all...only at those times when I know I'm real close to something, I can't see my spreader in the sideview mirrors

18. rockytop

rockytop Junior Member

Yeah Just use the mirrors. I have also installed the light set that plugs into the oulet for trailer lights and this helps. Lumbar seats are awesome. Hot chick with good hands even better. LOL.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Use your mirrors to avoid twisting your neck

20. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

My vote goes to the have a sore neck all the time and find a scorchingly hot massage therapist to work it out of you. Other than that, I use advil.