1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Soooo, I know this is a newbie question from a vet but......

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by ACA L&L, Nov 5, 2010.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Ok guys, i have seen this question murdered here but ill ask anyway as money is tight.....ive been plowing for 15 years we have a few 3/4 ton trucks that are 4x4 that work hard all winter doing small.big, mountain roads, you name it..........but we have a larger old abandoned Kmart lot that is the size of maybe 5 wal mart super center parking lots, this is not an exaggeration. The dilema is this, we plow 15 strip malls for the client have for a few seasons, great customer, he asked me today if we could clear this lot as there are a few business' at the front of the lot and he fears that if something was to happen in the big empty lot that adjoins the smaller strip up front he would be liable......he said if we would just clear it at the end of the storm or next day whatever would be fine, my question is that we have a 3/4 ton truck that is 4x2, this is a flat parking lot with no hills very cut and dry, no traffic, no people, no loading docks, etc. if we were able to mount a plow we have laying around, a small 7"6" or order the snowdogg md or sumin around those lines, throw some chains on truck, pallet of salt in back for added weight and ballast, do you think (against my better judgement) this would be workable? anyone else do this. I dont really wanna trade the truck i as we got a great deal on it and i dont really have the cash for a new $5-6000 plow to put on a new truck right now. we can cover this lot with the trucks we have but if we could just put a truck in there and let him plow it all night this would be ideal.........around here it snows a few inches tops and i mean tops, 2"inches shuts the city down to a crawl, so no one uses front end loaders with pushers on them. With 4 plow trucks were one of the bigger operations in town if that tells ya anything! please dont tear me a new one im just trying to make this work without investing the small amount of money we have for snow season before we even make any money. any replys would be great......the snow dogg MD seems like and affordable option, to go o the 09 3/4 single cab 4x2........

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

On a snow that light, maybe make some wings to make the plow 9'?

One good thing you have going is that the lot is not needed for parking, so really you can choose pile sites anywhere you want.

3. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

thats what i was thinking when i did the intial visit, straight away i was thinking we were gonna need another 4x4, but when i looked at the sight i thought man this is pretty cut and dry here, also he really just wants the drive lanes , exit and entrances cleared, the spaces can be pushed wherever and however, as there are no parking barriers or speed bumps anywhere. I think once we get a e few snows and get a few checks we will end up just trading the truck in and outfitting it with another 9' plow but until we get some money in to justify the new purchase i think this is my only option, as the drivers are already plowing for 2-4 12 hour shifts, and then having to do this one would be a little to much to ask of them, i think my wife actually wants to do this lot, but im not to sure i wanna have her plowing in a 2wd truck..............i think i could get stuck if i tried hard enuff!! good thing is i live up the street so i could walk home to get the tractor:)

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Do you get wet heavy snow, or light fluffy snow?

5. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

light fluffy here on this side of mountain....heavy wet on the mountain.....biggest storm in city was 07 6" over 2 days........with a freze

6. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

we are in new mexico, and yes we have plowable events, that pay us quite well......if we could get threw 2 storms without putting a plow on the 2wd we could trade it in and buy new plow but i dont like to buy if we dont need to.....no one does. I spoke with Kurt at layton in colorado springs he said no way on the western install, maybe on the snow dogg......i would prefer that we dont turn this truck into a franken truck with a crazy mount to just fit the plow onit, i would rather trade it in and get a 4x4 plow truck we can use in future, but we are already at our max for new accounts, and i dont see us growing any more in the near future, at all. Im happy with what we have going on and want to stay right where we are. so the new truck would be just backup mainly for what we have, but we dont get crazy storms that put alot of stress on the plow trucks......kind of weird situation.....dont need it but we do. that just sounds stupid!!but its the truth.

7. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

well after thinking about it and getting the approval from the boss mama ;)..............headed down to the dealer tomorrow to see what we can work out, clean trade in is 21000.............only owe 15000 so i think i can work a deal, thy will always give what the nada or kbb trade in is at least they have for the last few trucks we took down to them. wish me luck, gonna try and make this work the right way. That way i dont have to think hard about what trucks are plowing what they just PLOW!

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

lol good luck.

I was gonna mention, maybe you could just burn it off with salt if it's light fluffy stuff (low water content). Yeah it might take a couple aplications, but who cares if your only getting a couple of inches a day. (you would have plenty of time to salt every inch at the slow rate it falls)

9. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

Is there any way to rent a bobcat with a blade on it? We do that up here all the time. Then you dont have to buy the plow till you are ready.

10. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Although we have quite a few large rental yards here in town, not a one of them have plow blades or pusher boxes on them........you have what you buy. no one wants to invest 6 grand a plow for the possibility of snow.......which in my book is a guarantee cuz even without snow we have a crap load of ice melt applications. We are in one of the most competitive markets for landscapers, new mexico, if u have transpo u have work, the next question is how much do u want to make, a little or alot. We learned to specialize our services from day one, only reason we are still able to work everyday, plowing is just what we do to keep working when we get weather. the other guys just load a shovel up and hit the streets. I will know tommorrow what were doing fellas, thanks for all the advice, and we have used ice melt to melt the 1-1.5" of easy snowfall, saves alot of time, only downfall is if it freezes after that:)

11. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I have driven through NM on the way to Cali during a snow storm.

12. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

moved here from back east, thought snow warning????then it snowed, i was in shock...trhat was 20 years ago