1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

son's idea going over great!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dayexco, Dec 26, 2010.

1. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i posted here earlier, about my son offering a service to do nothing but clean out the ridge of snow left by city plows. right now, he's at 180 customers, all prepaid for the season before he'll start plowing them. he'd really like to see about 5-600 and i'm sure he'll get there before the end of the season, but with every new snowfall, he's getting 10-15 more signing up. the demographics of his clientele, is....the 25-60 yr old office worker...who has his own blower, doesn't mind getting up and blowing his own driveway early in the morning...but HATES trying to get that packed, iced up ridge out of there when they get home that nite after the plows came by. the other is....kids who live out of town, and wonder what would be a thoughtful Christmas gift for mom/dad/grandpa/grandma knowing they shouldn't be out there picking at that hard stuff...
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Good for him Thumbs Up. We offer a service for just cleaning the aprons too but no one ever calls,lol.
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds great and hope it works out for him.... but how much can he poss. charge for this service?
  4. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

our city won't plow streets unless there's a min. of a 2" snowfall. by the city's record keeping...they have averaged 12 plowings annually for the last 20 yrs...he's charging them $175.00 for the season. whether once, or 20 times. he's plowed 3 times so far. for us, january is not that snowy typically. we see our snow in dec. feb, and march.
  5. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

he advertised this in sept. october, and signed most of them up and had them prepay at that time...and he'll only do seasonals, or won't do them. he's had people run out as he's doing a neighbor's drive....want him to do it that one time, he isn't doing it. feels he's shooting himself in the foot by not getting them signed on for the year. this way he knows how to plan his route, what his cash flow is going to be.
  6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I like it, seems like a great plan. I would suggest he charge the people that stop him $40, and they have a week to take a seasonal contract. If they do $20 of the $40 will go to the seasonal price. This way he has helped someone in need, and more likely have a future client. Thumbs Up
  7. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

He must take after his mother:laughing: Just kidding, I couldn't resist!!!!!
  8. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

that really is a good idea!
  9. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

How is he doing it? Plowing or blowing?
    Does he have any tricks for making it easier and faster?
  10. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

This isn't passing my sniff test. Don't know why but something doesn't smell right about this.
  11. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

This is one hell of an idea..... ussmileyflag
  12. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

If people will pay for it there will always be someone willing to do it. I too would like to know how he accomplishes the task. Plow, shovel, snowblower etc. How far apart are the aprons, drive time etc. Is he working alone? My guess right now is that if he is working alone and with a truck the 180 aprons are taking him at least 6+ hours to clear unless all the houses are in a single development then maybe a little less. Best of luck to him. It is unfortunate though that some people are having a hard time getting people to pay that for a full drive for a season.

13. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I would think, it would be hard to do that many aprons by yourself in such a small window of time. Basically all those people want to be off to work by a certain time, and waiting for the city to be your trigger could be tough. If he can do it though, and keep them happy, great!
  14. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Dang, At $175 a person and he has 180 accounts. Thats $31,500!!! I call BS. Most companys dont even make that much in an entire season plowing whole lots. I sure dont.

He has to be sending out 20 of his buddies to do them, lol
  15. newhere

from Fenton

That's exactly what I meant by "this doesn't pass my sniff test"

I'm calling bs also.
  16. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

ok, let me get this straight he currently has 180 accounts and is getting $175.00 per drive by your testimony. So if my math is correct which I think it is he is currently sitting on $31,500.00 ?!?!?!?!?

180*175 = $31,500.00

I think I am gonna stop plowing and move in next door and work for him !!!
  17. newhere

from Fenton

That's sounds like your idea your trying to bounce off us and see what everyone would say. I'm betting its something you want to do and planing to do but havnt done it yet.

Let me tell you something, you better have some serious effeing systems in place if you think your going to handel 600 accounts. That's a huge task just to log all that info. You need someone full time sitting at a desk answering that phone when it blows up during a storm. Don't think for one second your going to do the work yourself AND answer all the calls.

Nor can I see people paying that much just to clean a 2' x 20' area.
  18. adan

adan Member

Where we live the city cleans the ridges at the bottom of the driveways right after they plow the street.

large grader followed by wheel loader.

Your city must have a really small snow clearing budget
  19. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

$175 seems high for just the end of the drive. A blower doesn't work. Too slow and that stuff gets rock hard. If the bank is not too high, I reverse into the drive and plow it out and down the curb. If the bank is too high, backdrag the top off then reverse into the drive.
  20. procut

procut Senior Member

I'm with you on this.