1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sonoma users?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by c.t. lawn care, Feb 26, 2003.

1. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

I am going to put a snoway plow on my sonoma this summer and was wondering if any of you have used one or are using one. I will primarily use it on residential, but there will be a few small commercial lots that i will use it on. Any info would be nice
  2. myo

myo Senior Member

I have a 6'9" Fisher MM1 on my Sonoma for the past two years. I put Timbren Load Boosters in the front and started plowing. I plow residentials and I love it because the sonoma is smaller and can turn tighter and get in and out of drives easily. Go for it and Welcome to Plowsite. Good Luck

3. c.t. lawn care

what are Timbren Load Boosters? sorry for the stupidity
  4. myo

myo Senior Member

timbrens are a hollow spring that replaces the factory bumper stopper between the frame and torsion bar. It helps prevent front end sag, it stiffens up the front when you lift the plow. Try this

5. Sndun

Sndun Member

What year Sonoma is it and does it have the "high rider" package?
  6. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I have a '98 Sonoma with a SnoWay on it, extended cab. I plowed it for four years in residential drives. I plowed a larger truck this past winter, but we're still using it, and will likely get another two or three more years out of it. We didn't do much to the truck other than turn up the torsion bars. Great little truck with a great plow for it.

I don't know if this is true or not with today's Sonoma's- but when looking at GVW ratings for the various Sonoma's with different suspension packages, the Off Road Package (not the Z71 or High Rider) was the only one that would take a plow back in '98. I know of a company that used to plow the High Rider S-10's and I heard that they were cracking frames since it actually has a lower GVW than the Off Road version. I now see their fleet of little trucks look to be the Off Road package. Bigger, beefier looking may not be the better bet. Check it out closely.
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

We have a few,all with snoways,great little trucks for small stuff and residential.The Timbrens are a big help,and you won't have to crank the torsion bars up too much with them installed.A limited slip or lock-rite in the rear would be a big help,they get stuck pretty easy without them.
  8. c.t. lawn care

its a 93 and i think it is just the off road package
  9. c.t. lawn care

whats the most you have plowed with a sonoma/ s-10?
  10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

In March of 2001 we got 26" over about 30 hours. On the first stop of the storm our K2500 with vee plow went down with a bad transmission. Two S-10s dealt with the entire storm. Some of the residential customers didn't get plowed until the end of the storm, so the little trucks were working in over two feet of fresh powder.

Our biggest problem was that we had had no thaws that winter and some places we could not plow simply because there was no place for the snow to go to get off the blade. Other than that it was just a lot of hours behind the wheel, doing the best we could. Surprisingly there were NO complaints, the worst calls we got were customers calling to ask when we might be able to get to them.

Both S-10s are packing 8' Snow-Ways. One has a Snow-Ex 1075 tailgate spreader and the other runs a Snowman rear plow. Both are short box, 4.3L and automatic. Tires are 235/75R15 XL.
  11. c.t. lawn care

What year s-10's were those?
    And i would think that 8' plow would be a little much for such a small truck. i was thinkin about getting like a 6 1/2 foot one, but if it can handle soemthing bigger that i will get a 7 1/2 foot plow (sno-way)
  12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

One is an 88 and the other a 91. The 88 came into the fleet first and was originally carrying a Series 25 push frame and power pack mated to a Series 24, 6'8" moldboard. The next year I tried our other plow on it, a Series 25 in 8', and loved it. Later that winter I swapped the 6'8" for another 8' moldboard, keeping the same push frame. I got the 91 and made the mount and wired the truck, kept it as a spare for a year, until we got the vee plow for the 2500, then put that 8' on the 91.

Keep in mind that there is very little weight difference between 7', 7'6" and 8'moldboards. And event he 8' comes in very close to the weight of a 6'6" Fisher or other comparable "conventional" plow. I'f you've got the 4.3, backed with the 4 speed automatic, you're not lacking power. Even with the 3.4? axles that mine have I still run out of traction before I do power. These trucks are not light, and with good tires they will push as much as a full size truck can. Been there, done that

The 88 has seen some modifications since it went into service. Here's the link to the pages dedicated to it on Chuck's site. The last shot on page 6 is how it looks now.

Here's the 91 in battle dress.

View attachment 91swith2.jpg
  13. c.t. lawn care

i have a 93 sonoma. the last year they made them the best. do you think that it would have no problem with a 7 1/2 foot sno-way plow (lexon ploycarbonate, not steel) ?
  14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, I think you can do that.
  15. wyldman

wyldman Member

The 93 will be fine,we have a regular cab with a snoway,no prob.
  16. c.t. lawn care

where do the timbrens go on the front end? do you have to remove the torsion bars? is there any cutting or adding?
  17. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

CT, call Warner Spring on South West Street in Indy. They have them in stock usually and can install them for you. Many of the snowplow and truck equipment companies also sell them. They are a real boon, well worth the investment particularly on the smaller trucks.
  18. GLS

GLS Senior Member

c.t. lawn care:

You can find out more about timbrens at their site: http://www.timbren.com. I don't use timbrens, but from what I understand, they replace the factory bump stops. You don't remove the torsion bars and there shouldn't be any cutting.

Hope that helps,
  19. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

S10 no mods

s10 plow n spreader.jpg
  20. myo

myo Senior Member

0ryan0 is right, Timbrens replace the factory bump stops. No you don't have to remove the torsion bar. All you do is remove the factory bump stops which are connected with a bolt and the timbrens fit in the same place