1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sometines they work, Sometimes they dont

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by VOGLERny, May 29, 2012.

1. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

Got a new 03 F350. It has Strobes in the Head and tail lights... Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. Sounds like a bad ground to me.. Any other opinions?

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Yes it sounds like a ground problem, make sure you have a good clean ground then go from there and check all the other connection's.
  3. move it

move it Junior Member

The first thing you should do is cut the braided wire off before it causes a short, or you get knocked on your ass if you touch it and they're touching the power side of a plug. Sometimes a pin in a plug will get pushed back so it will not make contact with a pin. The male or female pins have a barbed fin like piece of metal that lock it in place in the plug.
  4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If its new take it back to where you bought it and tell them to fix it.
  5. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Could also be a bad power unit.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

That braided wire is the drain wire for the strobes they are supposed to be grounded on each end of the strobe cable if you hear static while the radio is on. Now if you touch one of the bare strobe cable wires you will know it. I've had it happen to me a few times.

As far as the strobes go, I'd check all your connections. I always ground them at the battery.
  7. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Is it all the strobes? If so I would be looking at the power, control, and ground for the power supply, or perhaps the power supply itself. If it's just one tube then I would consider the possibility of it being a pin in a connector, etc.