1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sometimes - plowing doesn't always mean making money ......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MoPlower, Feb 24, 2003.

1. MoPlower

MoPlower Junior Member

We got 8-12 inches here this past weekend depending on location. A good plow. I got a phone call from a buddy that was at his parents house that live on a private drive. The "contractor" that was supposed to clear the drive with his 8N tractor was doing a ......... well, marginal job, to say the least. My buddies parents are in their 70's, and his father has alzheimers - in its' latter stages. Sad stuff. My buddy had run their snowblower to clear out their drive, but the turn at the top of the lane was still all drifted over and basically impassable.

Dodge plow truck powers ACTIVATE ....... :D

I ended up plowing the whole lane, opening up the turn at the end, and making it passable for everyone that shares the private road. The guy that is "supposed" to do it, was getting his 8N stuck everytime he dropped his back-blade - - so he basically gave up ????

Anyway - is just kinda nice when you can help folks out that appreciate it, and truly NEED the help.......And if me and my old Dodge can make it that much easier on those folks - BRING ON THE SNOW !!!!!! :drinkup:

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

For this last big snow I did many neighbors & friends driveways and tried to do them for free. Even explained to a few that the back hoe was making tons of money with the real work and that it wasn't a big deal, and that money was not desired or requested. Then I'd find cases of beer, homemade cookies and envelopes full of money at the front door everytime I stopped home for a minute LOL. They just couldn't accept that I just wanted to take care of them because I had some time for once & could do it, & that it really wasn't a big deal. PIA's!! One even handed $40.00 bucks to my 5 year old son because my wife wouldn't take any money either, after they had shoveled the walk while I did the drive. He's cute, after he rests up a little he grabs his little snow shovel & says "come on Mommy, let's go shovel so & so's walk now!" Another year or 2 & he'll be running the back hoe without me LOL.

3. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yep....yep, I know what you mean :rolleyes: My neighbor just came over and brought me a "spice cake" because I do their driveway for free. Yum Yum..wow, its warm & fresh out of the oven.
    Kip
    www.indysnowplowers.com

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Used to get a loaf of fresh homemade bread left in the paper box every night it snowed from a great old German/Italian lady add a little butter or honey and what a great 3 a.m. snack. She's been gone about a year now. Miss her about as much as the bread. Think I did it more for the visits and talk about her younger years. She sure was a hellion when she was growing up.

Jerre

5. PAPS Landscape

PAPS Landscape Member

Had a customer of mine call me to plow his driveway during that blizzard, I told him I don't do many residentials, but I would do it for him because of his age and the amount of snow we got. I told him $50.00 would be the charge, and he was grateful, so I went, plowed the drive, got paid, end of story, he loved it.

The man called me the next day to offer more money in payment because he thought he was ripping me off !!! Litterally, no joke, took me 3-4 minutes with the dump truck on a straight push. i told him "how many guys do you know that make $50.00 in 3 minutes."

6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

When I was a kid my neighbor always plowed for us. He's a senior now and can't drive so i always take care of him, kind of returning the favor. He always offers money but I don't take it, I'd feel cheap since he helped us out so many times. Its nice to be able to help out once and a while just for the heck of it.

7. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Someday we'll be old and hopefully what we have put out will come back to us. It warms my heart to see people help seniors.;)

8. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

If we ever got any snow, I'd be trying to create greateful women everywhere. :D

9. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Snowplowers

I tell ya, I truly believe that snowplowers are a different breed of people. A couple of storms ago my ole lady put her car in the ditch at 5 a.m. She called me and I was on my way, but in the mean time, of all the people that passed by, only people with snow plows on their trucks stopped to make sure she was ok.
    At first I didn't think anything of it, but now I do. She even said, "Isn't that kinda funny how all these people just drive on by, but the guys with deadlines and customers to please are stopping and making sure that everything is ok." My neighbors are very greatful and I always take care of them when we get big snow, sometimes I find cases of beer in the back of my truck :D !

10. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

I plowed my entire street plus the side street off of the one end. My county lost 2/3rds of their trucks plus several local towns lost ALL of theirs. The mayor was on the radio calling for private operator's to clear the streets and that the city/township will cover their time. Talk about being unprepaired! Jake.

11. bastalker

bastalker Junior Member
    from Ct.

I live in a pretty big residential neighborhood, and if I pass an elderly person shoveling, I will ALWAYS drop the blade and plow the driveway for them, tell them to have a great day and drive off. I have left many trying to dig in their purses with a wave. If I had the time I would shovel the walks for them too. It will always come back to you in one form or another. Have a great day!! :drinkup: