1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Somethings Bugging Me! Dreaded VIBRATION!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jadyejr, Mar 16, 2010.

1. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

Been searching for like a week reading lots of posts but still not sure which way to go because my truck is doing something that is unique lol....

I just recently got a new wheel bearing in the front and 2 new shocks, but this issue was going on before...

Issue #1 Whenever I go on the highway, I get a nasty vibration at about 65+ MPH, it just gets louder the faster I go and I've taken it up to 90.... The vibration is there weather the truck is in gear or in N, its there when i coast and its there when its under a load..... The U joints dont appear to have play, but im still thinking about having them replaced.... But other than that I'm dumbfounded what it could be...

Issue #2 Also I noticed this the last time I was plowing, my truck idles really bad when under a load, and will actually die if lets say I'm sitting at a light in Drive... When I go into reverse I get a stutter for a couple seconds and it bogs down like its gonna die, than just goes fine... I don't slam my truck into reverse, I always come to a complete stop when plowing, The transmission's never gotten hot...

You guys are geniuses and I am totally not... I really appreciate everything I've learned from this site! Thanks in advance!

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Isn't this truck been in ditch before?

It could be CVS drive Shaft bent cause this.

3. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

it was doing it before the ditch...

4. plowking15

plowking15 Member

If your truck has a carrier bearing,you want to check that. Does it get worse or better in four wheel drive? plowking

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Vibrations could be a bad tie-rod. Happened to me.

What engine/miles/how long since tuneup?

6. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

It's the 6.0, just got new plugs and wires...

7. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

I've never driven it that fast in 4WD, the stuttering in reverse was in 2WD the last time I was plowing, I seldom plow in 2WD

8. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I was gonna suggest Loose Lug nuts?

Happened to me on my Ford 2 years ago....stretched the stud holes on the aluminum rim & ruined the wheel hub assy.

DSCN2672.jpg

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do the lights that show you what gear you are in ever go out/flash/wrong light on?

10. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

nope doesnt

11. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

I know it is something simple but did one of your wheel weights fall off or do you have a chunk of ice stuck on the back of one of your rims, I have seen that a lot.

12. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is my vibration experience....

I was having a vibration at higher speeds, really got worse from 60 up.
    I felt in the floor of the cab. When I would grab the manual shifter for the 4x4 I could really feel it in that.
    Turned out to be bearings in my transfer case. However my dealer replaced 3 drive shafts and some other misc. thinking that was the cause....

Running poor....wires not right? Injector not 100%. I had somewhat the same thing when I had an injector go out, but it set off my check engine light too......

13. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

About 4 weeks ago my son said the 2000 had the death wobble at 45 mph. Did the tie rod ends, better but not gone. After more investigation, turned out 1 of the front tires had inside ply separations. New tires, problem solved. Hope this helps.

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

"The vibration is there weather the truck is in gear or in N"

This is key here guys, this eliminates tires, driveline bearings, tierods, etc. It would be strictly an RPM thing.

Probably if you find problem 2, problem 1 may just go away along with it.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How does putting the trans in Neutral eliminate the driveline?

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Rereading this, a little slower :alien: I see what he means is sticking it in neutral @ 65+ mph, not (as I took it the first time) at 65mph OR in neutral. I was thinking RPM related, not speed related. My bad.

Maybe he gave some of us too much credit by saying you guys (as in all of us?) are geniuses :laughing:

17. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Buddys truck was doing the same thing it was the transfercase

18. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

could be some many issues.

Engine; Arching wires, bad MAP sensor, Mis-Firing, Injector
    Suspension, drive line, Tires....

You really need to take it in or you'll be on the boards until next winter or something falls off the truck.