1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Something went horribly wrong

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Easy, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Last night I went out to plow. When I left my house I had just under 1/2 tank of gas. After plowing 7 drives I looked at my gas gauge and it was almost empty. That was strange, as I can usually do all my customers plus my own on about 1/3 of a tank. I went and put $30 (12.5 gals) worth in it to finish up with. On the way back home I looked again and my tank was about empty!! I only drove about 50 miles total, all of the traveling in 2 wheel drive. I was out for about 2 1/2 hours.
    Recent history. Filled up tank 2/6, plowed part of my customers (7), took truck in for oil change at dealer. 2/7 had trouble attaching plow to truck, truck idled for about 3 hours total while I fooled with my plow. After attaching plow, I plowed my customers (7 of 10) plus my own.
    Did not use the truck until last night.
    What could have happened? If the tank was leaking, it would either be empty, or drop to where the leak is and then be OK. If there was a leak in the fuel rail system wouldn't there be some smoke if not fire?
    When I got back last night I looked at my wheels, none were smoking and most had snow on them. (not hot).
    Oh well, I will look at it sometime today, hopefully it is something simple and the parts are available on a Sun.
    Don

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

hmmm when you have a gas leak, the gas will leave an almost flourescent green/yellow glow in the snow where it dripped. check your drive for these green/yellow spots. gasoline burns from the vapors so when its cold out there are less vapors so less to start on fire, anyway make sure you double check all your lines. it could also be your gauge or float malfunctioning

3. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

I doupt its the tank. I would bet that you have a leak somewere in your fuel lines. Like mentioned it will leave a color in the snow. If you have some fresh snow id drive over it and let the truck run for 5 minutes or so and if there is a leak then it should show in the snow.
    Evan

4. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Check your fuel lines. Did the oil change place put it on a hoist? Maybe they pinched one of them some how? Slim chance but you never know.

5. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

if its not leaking its probly the fuel gauge sending unit

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I believe you have one of 3 problems:

1) Fuel Tank Leaking
    2) Fuel Lines Leaking
    3) Fuel Guage Sending Unit

Good Luck with whatever happens!:salute:

7. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Silly me, why would I think a truck with only 17,000 miles would have a properly working fuel guage??? I went out a bit ago to change the air filter and look for leaks, when I started the truck, the fuel guage went to 3/4 tank!! Now I will never know if there is a problem in the sending unit or the electrical system as a whole.
    I have had other problems with the dash guages before, like the temp guage pegging on hot, when you turn off the truck and restart, every thing is fine. Will happen while driving down the road at any time. All of a sudden, the check eng. light, brake, and ABS lights will come on, the tach. and speedo will not work. Again, turn off engine, restart and all is OK. (even in hot weather)
    Darn computerized crap they put in vehicles today!!!
    Oh well, thanks for the replies and help, much appreciated.
    Don

8. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Don, have you ever tried to reflash or put a programmer on your truck? Just wondering if you have if that could have something to do with your idiot lights and gauges????

9. Easy

Easy Senior Member

According to the dealer, they are going to replace the dash module. With all the problems (now the check engine light is coming on) it sounds like that could be the problem. Unless there is some type of virus in the computer, it would take out one thing and that would stay out.. This has been a multitude of problems, with all the gauges on the dash at one time or another. Also, according to the dealer the dash module has a computer in it. Go figure. Does anyone build a good truck anymore?????

Don