1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Something to worry about?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Iowa, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

I saw this morning hooking up the plow to move it. These are the only ones I could find....cracked welds..I think? Do I get them fixed immediatley or could I wait a while?

welds 001.jpg

welds 002.jpg

welds 003.jpg

welds 004.jpg
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

They don't look cracked to me, just looks like the paint is coming off due to some rust.
  3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I agree with The Boss. The welds weren't cleaned up very well prior to painting. Get a chipping hammer and knock any slag thats left, then look for cracks, and hit the spots you cleaned with some primer and touch up. I think you're just seeing where the slag has cracked off. It's a shame they aren't prepared a little better for painting, considering the conditions they are made to be used in.
    When you're in a plow shop this winter ask if they can show you a cracked weld if they have one in for repair, that will give you a better idea of what to look for.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I got a Western that looks the same way. It is just the paint pealing off. "You will have that, on these frequently used snow plows"
  5. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I agree with Boss and Streetsurfin.

Welds don't just crack. I'm not saying it can't happen if a weld is not done right, but it's not common. When the weld is fresh, if all the slag isn't cleaned up right then and there and the joint covered with cold galvanizing spray, what happens is what you're seeing. It's nothing a wire brush and/or palm grinder and a few cans of spray paint won't cure. Go to a welding supply and get a can of cold galvanizing spray. This should be applied to the weld after you clean it up and get to bare metal, then after it dries you can paint over it with a color matching your plow. Just remember if you use a grinder, don't grind the weld out :nono: . All you want to do is get rid of the rust! You should be all set then.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

IOWA....Check out the "cracked western welds" thread I brought up.

My 3 yo Ultras paint is cracking also....But the welds are ok........

Never hurts to check your welds if you have a Western made during this time period................geo
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I agree with the guys. I just sold an 1980's version Western plow and the welds were still good on that one. Although I guess it depends on use/abuse that it gets. But yours looks good Iowa!

8. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I have the welder with the "big wire" down stairs. I don't see any cracks, just a little rust under the paint.

If ya want to get them welded up, I'm home tomorrow. PM or email me if interested. I'm in Winterset.

Mark K
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I see no cracked welds either but in pic number 3 it looks like they mostly missed the mark welding. Just clean and repaint them and you will be fine.
  10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like it was sandblasted, and repainted to me. Then the paint may not have stuck to the welds.

Was it "refurbished"?