1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

something to think about?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim Baden, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

If you knew everything you know now when you were thinking about getting into plowing would you still have done this move?
    Few people I have talked to said no,they said it's getting to be a cut throat business.
    Thought I would throw this question out to you guy and see how you feel.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I first saw this post early this morning and thought about it for awhile. I think I would. Although it's cost a fortune to get set up and I've run into some mechanical troubles along the way, I've really enjoyed plowing, getting a business set up and meeting some great (and not so great) people in the form of customers. It's really what I'd wanted to find for retirement - something I can put as much or as little into as I want; Something that gives me a sense of accomplishment and I benefit directly from and proportionally to
    my efforts. The last is a really big factor for me as I spent the majority of my adult work life ( 32 of 36 years) in federal service in one capacity or another. And as everyone knows, hard work has nothing to do with getting ahead in government. So, yes, I'd do it again. But consider my other "retirement activity" is cutting, splitting and selling firewood which is really hard work, although the money is good.
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

As much or as little cash as I actually make by the end of the season I actually enjoy pushing the white stuff. I started plowing as a way to help pay for the truck I bought and continued the same attitude with the second truck. It gets frustrating trying to plan trips or having to handle things differently to be able to stay around and function on your route, but it's worth it to me. Not everyone likes going days without sleep tho...
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes. I enjoy plowing alot, the money varies but can be very good. I like being out in the snow and plowing gives me an excuse to be out. Costs are about what I expected, insurence was a suprise when I first started but now I can live with it.
  5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Plowing is like every other business. There is a greater return as you become more proficient and offer better service. Hope everyone had a prosperous and safe winter.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Plowing has allowed me to drive a nice truck for free for the last 10 years.
    The money I make listed on a 1099 is offset by my repairs, parts and gas/oil. Uncle Sam gets his cut each year, so does the truck. I have insurance and the contractor I work for does also. Most years Nov thru April I don't touch the checking account for "beer money" because I pickup spot cash doing drives and small lots in my hood.
  7. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

everyone i talked to prior tried to talk me out of it, its been good.
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The wife just opened my last plow check this week.
    $1,000 for March! Not too bad for a truck that's been paid off for the last 4 years! She was shocked! -- Ha ,Ha want to whine now?
    I work as a sub-contractor and make alot over my costs each year.