1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Something to fall back on...?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turf Commando, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Curious who here has another form of income in case we get a (green) winter...?
    Myself, I run a cleaning business which makes up 98% of my income....
  2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Not really, thank goodness for seasonals! payup
  3. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i have a towing biz as well, during a blizzard though no body sleeps
  4. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Im an automotive technician.
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

mechanical shop

run a general contracting buisness -build houses, basement developement, framing, concrete work, flooring, etc

during the winter we do projects at very competitve pricing just to keep my guys busy when it isn't snowing. we give such good prices for contracting on the condition that people understand that if it is snowing we aren't going to be there

last year, we took on a historical house renovation, where we hand dug out a hole underneath for a basement, did all the supports, weeping time, etc, (no one else would even give the guy a quote) it took 3 months to do, but they were happy, and my guys stayed busy
  6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Bobcat work. Property clean up, dirt work, driveways, backfill at new construction, level pads, light demo. Also sell and deliver alot of Hay.
  7. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Hualing Interior Demo ( Fire,Flood Damage) I Sub Contract thru a major cleanup company
    ( the guys with the little green trucks ) And work at a gas station at night.
  8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I just sit around an collect welfare. :rolleyes: :laughing:

I'll give you 2 guesses on what my primary business is, and the first doesn't count. :D
  9. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Ride sleds when we don't plow so a slow winter really sucks!
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I love green winters!
  11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had a full time job until this past April when I decided to do lawn care and plowing full time. We've been doing this since 2003 and thought it would be a good time to go full time....yeah not so much! Lost the income of the f/t job AND lost a big account that I thought they were happy with us, even after asking them if they were (they said yes) so I have to make up roughly 65k this year! I'll be helping my Father-in-Law with his commercial painting business.
  12. DCL

DCL Member

Not many lawns need mowing or hardscapes need building...

Had a broken hip last winter and couldnt leave my bed for a month then couldnt walk for another month. Gained about 20 ls and just about lost my mind. So, ill be doing just about anything I can aside from plowing to keep busy.
  13. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Hey buckwheat is there some lowballing going on in your construction business.
  14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Could not of said it better GV. payup:D:drinkup:
  15. buckwheat_la

i guess it depends how you look at it, but i try not to, no one likes to do work for nothing, and i don't quote work just to get it, however i am not going to say that i don't give a good price during the winter if people are willing to accept the fact we aren't going to do work when it is snowing. but a lot of the projects we get have to do with the fact they can't get anyone else to quote them, but you have heard the saying, ( there is cheap, fast, and well done......you can pick any two, well in our case people are picking cheap and well done and understanding that fast isn't going to happen) example of projects we have done
    4 years ago, went and fixed a complete house reno that some fly by nighter screwed up and ran with money (happy to help them out, at a cheap price so they didn't lose home),
    3 years ago, renovated a apartment complex to condos (real pain in the ass, and he couldn't get anyone to even quote it)
    2 years ago built a fancy horse barn for a lady, lived far out of town, and the companies that quoted it were very high due to the fact it was out of town,

last year, did historical house, dug out 30x30x9 foot basement underneath house and put in new foundation (we were $20 000less then next bid, but all other bids insisted on lifting house, or digging with heavy equipment and through exisiting foundation, we did it all by hand, and yes, i still made some good money at it.

now if this makes me a lowballer, so be it, but i make the bulk of my profits during the winter through snow removal, and if i try to keep my guys busy through "lowballing" contracting jobs, well so be it, if my guys are still employeed and taking decent paycheeks home to their families then as a buisness owner i have done my job
  16. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I guess thats the same way the contractors, seal coaters ,junk guys and anyone else that dosent do snow removal full time looks at it . Lets low ball the plow guys to keep the guys working during the winter. In no way trying to start anything this post just makes me think how others think. If snow removal is not your main income you are willing to lowball without even thinking about it.
  17. buckwheat_la

well i wish i could say i am not taking offense to all this, but i am getting the feeling people are thinking i am lowballing, i would like to point a couple of things: i am very up front with the projects we take on, that they are fill in for when we don't have snow, and that we don't take on projects on deadlines, i would also like to point out that most of my work comes from other contractors that refer difficult or unappealing projects to us. i also want to point out that we do have these divisions in my company meaning that no matter what the season, we have people doing these kind of jobs, this isn't just something i do in the winter to piss off contractors
  18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Whats that??
  19. buckwheat_la

sorry, "weeping tile"
  20. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I own a bicycle shop. Winter is really slow and I would like to keep my people working somehow. I had a Lawn and Landscape and Snow removal business in the 90's, so getting back to Snow is no big deal.