1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Something new or old?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redplowman, Oct 16, 2007.

1. redplowman

redplowman Member

Just wondering what anyone knows about a chemical that is applied once a week that melts snow. I just lost a bid to someone who went lower on a per push bid. There reason is, they are using a weekly chemical process that they will not have as much snow to remove per push. Does anyone know about this process or chemical? Please let me know. Thanks

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Any pre-treat liquid or granular will melt snow as long as you have no rain or runoff to remove it from the pavement.
    Salt brine, liquid cal, liquid magic, or caliber 1000 are all liquids used to pre-treat or pre-wet rock salt.
    There are many 'treated" salt products out there, some are better then others.
    Magic salt, Caliber 2000 treated salt, Ice Slicer are just a few off the top of my head.

As far as these any of these products eliminating plowing or hauling seems a bit far fetched. Most of these products will burn off some snow, but 1" plus depending on conditions is about it. Where these products really shine is for eliminating bonding so less
    hardpack and keeping the lot "less" slick before you can get in there to plow. They will buy you some time for daytime storms too. Its tuff to justify the high costs of these products when rock salt is $50 a ton. They work great for temps below 20F.

3. redplowman

redplowman Member

T-MAN,

Thanks for the info, I totally agree. I didn't know if there was a new way out there to remove snow.

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder if they aren't trying to pull the wool over the customer's eyes. I would guess that they are going to apply a liquid brine directly to the pavement if their is a threat of a storm. Makeing sure the customer sees them doing it. Then come back and push if it needs it. It will work early on because of the warmer pavement temps.

I would ask, if you still want to, what they are charging for the special treatement. It might work out your price was right on or cheaper when everything is added up. It also could be that the customer got a low ball price and did not want to tell you that you were higher.

Keep and eye on the lot this winter, see what they are using, see the quality of work and let us know.

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Quadplower, good tip on keeping a eye on that lot. Expecially during the season for lots of companies are full of broken promises. Some will do allmost anyting to land the new contract.

If the lot is a mess and the service is not up to par simpilly pop your head in and show the old client there is no hard feelings. For they might hire you back imidiatly or next year you might get the lot back at the price which you can determine.payup

Good luck

DAFF