1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Something new every day with this thing...drum sticking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blk94fiveoh, Feb 6, 2004.

1. blk94fiveoh

blk94fiveoh Junior Member
    from MN

Well i'm just about to go into full regret mode for buying this truck in november. Its a 95 2500 silverado plow truck and since november i've replaced the alternator, washer pump motor, starter, and the water pump. Now for my next problem...

Its snowing out again...i just get home and get out of my truck and smell something burning. I look under the hood..nothing. Get the flashlight out, look under the truck and see some smoke/steam coming form the rearend. I'm also hearing a sizzling sound.Upon further inspection It appears that the drivers side drum is sticking which caused the wheel to heat up which created the steam and the sizzle when water would drip on it.

Soooo I guess I will be doing some work on the rear drums tomorrow. Has anyone experienced anything similiar to this on these trucks? Other than the parking brake, what is the most likely culprit for the sticking? Any other tips or things I should know?

I'm hoping that after I replace all the usual wear items on this truck it will become a dependable work truck.

edit: Btw...its the 8 lug 'hd' version

Thanks again for your help,
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Experienced same problem on 85 dodge. It was the cable going to one rear wheel. the front cable to the pedal and the other rear cable were ok so it felt like it released at the pedal, but one side was hanging up. Tapping on that side of the equalizer would free it up till I got it fixed. As for inside the drum, not sure- maybe a broken shoe to shoe spring.
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BLK.........Sometimes after heavy plowing ...snow and ice will
    build up on your emergency brake cables and pull them down
    and engaging the parking brake!

It happened to my 97 a few times. If you look under the truck
    you can see the build up and have to kick it off...........geo
  4. blk94fiveoh

blk94fiveoh Junior Member
    from MN

Ya know..i think you may have solved this one, because I did knock a huge chunk of snow/ice out from under the truck, and when i drove it around today, it didn't heat up at all. Thanks for the reply,