1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

something i've never seen before

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dirtmandan2, Nov 25, 2008.

1. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I have an '89 3/4 ton... couldnt turn wheel to right, figured my gear case was shot. crawled underneath and this is what I found... Where the idler arm bolts through the frame, the heads of the bolts were pulled through and darn near falling out... the reason I couldnt turn right is that the tie rod end would bend up and hit the frame.. that was about 3 hours worth of swearing to get going again, glad i found it before that truck got in an accident... oddly the frame is not rusted out, no idea how this happened...

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That is a common problem. In the back of many off road mags they have a frame plated that goes there and on the steering box

3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

had mine brake off at the box just enough 2 get vis grips on it

4. dirtmandan2

can you give me more details on this??

5. dirtmandan2

thanks for that tip... i did some searching and found a 3 bolt idler arm, i'm going to throw that in there. hopefully it'll stay together for the rest of this trucks life...