1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Something is wrong??? Please help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JB800, Feb 13, 2013.

1. JB800

JB800 Junior Member

I have a Western 7 1/2' unimount plow. I noticed this year that when the plow is raised it seems very wobbly. It used to feel so solid as if it was a permanent part of the truck. Now when I drive down the road and hit bumps, it will bounce up and down on both sides.I also noticed that the holes in the a frame and front bar that attaches to the blade does not line up as if something is bent. Not sure whats wrong??

plow1.jpg

plow2.jpg

plow3.jpg

2. uniwesternchevy

uniwesternchevy Junior Member

Look at the pivot point, where the A-frame attaches to the quadrant.

3. JB800

JB800 Junior Member

Yes I looked at that. It looks like the quadrant is bent. I am not sure if that;s the problem.

4. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

Yea, the A-frame to quadrant bolt hole is more than likely really egged out if not broke and cracked all the way through. If you're in a pinch, just welding a heavy washer on the A-frame lip as close to the bolt size as possible will get you by (you'll better understand this once you separate the two and see where it's broke and egged out). For a more thorough repair, just cut off that upper lip and rebuild it. They come pretty weak from the factory, but rebuild it once with some heavier steel and you more than likely won't have to do it again.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The pivot pin holes have probably oblonged....take out the pivot pin and take a look.

6. JB800

JB800 Junior Member

I think I just realized why it's wobble. It looks like a piece of the a frame on the left side that goes under the quadrant is broken off. Can I just have a piece welded on to extend it or do I need a new a frame? Also my quadrant looks bent and the hole is oblonged.

7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The two right above hit the nail on the head.

8. jasonv

from kannada

Everything can be repaired. Yes, the bottom plate that is broken needs to be welded back on. The oblonged hole needs to be cut out and replaced, and plated, preferably with a thicker piece of metal. It looks like the damage was actually caused by excessive side angling. Either the hydraulics push too hard out, or the driver frequently rams snow banks. Note how the plow actually PULLED AWAY from the truck.

I do see what you mean about the quadrant being bent. I really wouldn't worry about it. As long as you get that hole patched up, the bottom plate welded back on, and reinforce that part where it bent/broken, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Your plow will just be very slightly out forward. Give it a little too hard while stacking and you may just get it right back to where its supposed to be ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  9. JB800

JB800 Junior Member

Yes that was my concern how the plow pulled away from the truck. What caused that? Is is the hole being oblong?

10. jasonv

from kannada

Its like this; you have the plow angled all the way to one side against the stop. When its like that and you force it FARTHER than the stop (lets say for arguments sake, by trying to push over a snowbank), the stop itself becomes the new pivot point. One of three things can happen; 1) you collapse the stop, 2) you bend the plow around the stop, or 3) you pry the main hinge point forward.

SNOWBANK
    |------->pressure
    |
    |
    |-------A
    |
    |-------B
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

In the diagram above, you have a snow bank at the top, your truck is pointed to the LEFT, the straight line-ish thing is your plow. When you move forward, the snow bank pushes back in the direction of "pressure". Point (A) is the plow's angle stop. Point (B) is the main hinge point of the plow. So the plow pivots around point (A) and pries out on point (B). Like pulling a nail out with a crow bar. The force you apply is in the direction opposite where the nail actually moves.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013