1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Something is Draining My batteries?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lodogg89, Dec 30, 2007.

1. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

The last morning i have gone out to start my truck and have found something draing my batteries. They have been completley dead actually. I recently installed a dual battery setup on my truck, it has a plow, and a stereo system (subs, amp etc.) i also have been having a wierd problem with the subs, every once in a while they make a pop sound when i turn the key on. anyone have any ideas?

Solution time-
    First- I took the fuse out for the power wire for the amp, thinking maybe this is it, well its not. This morning was dead again. Im going to try and go through it with the test light as well.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

With the key off and the under hood light, and clock disconnected.

Remove the pos+ lead from your battery
    Then check for any voltage with your meter. Between the pos lead and the pos post on your battery.
    If you have any substantial voltage anything over a .5 to a volt is to much..
    Next start pulling fuses, start with what you suspect the power draw to be.
    When the voltage drops, there is your problem.
    Then hook these accessories to a switched power source.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  3. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Also check your plow lever/button/toggle. If it's not in the center float position then it will stay activated and drain your batteries.
  4. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i think i may have found my problem, the remote lead coming off my screen was not turning off, it was putting power to the factory amp constantly. Im going to find out tonight if this was the problem and will report back
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Well said.:drinkup:
  6. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

That right there is most likely our problem...if you "subs' are popping, ur stereo system most likely has the issuem that control wire may be grounding out somewhere...
  7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Snofarmer, your starting to sound like B&B LOL
  8. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

no more dead batteries,
  9. Hi Guys,
    Need to bump this one back up to the top.
    04 GMC 2500 HD Dead Battery last couple of mornings. Battery is 2 months old. I have a 12.5V draw. I put the voltage meter in between the neg, not the pos, does that really make a difference? I've pulled every under hood fuse. Nothing...still 12.5V draw. I can't determine the dome light circuit on the inside fuses. I want to disable that first so I don't get fooled with the door open while pulling fuses. Help is appreciated.
  10. Update..I've now pulled every fuse, relay and CB in all 3 fuseboxes and still have 12.5V draw on the meter..anyone ever hear of an alternator doing this??
  11. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Well, my vehicle was doing that and I found that it has an alarm system that was draining my battery. The only work around for me was to put a continuous use solenoid on the battery with a switch to turn everything off when I'm not running it.
  12. stovestoker

stovestoker Junior Member

I have heard of alternators drawing and also starter solenoids.
  13. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Do you have 2 batteries? I have 2 and one was bad and was drawing the other down.
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It is possible for an alt to drain the battery if the internal diodes go bad. Not too common but it does happen. If you want to due a test on it, unplug the connector on the alt and also disconnect the charge wire for the stud and recheck it for draw.

You pulled every single fuse....including all the large clear top fuses in the under hood panel?

What is your plow controller power wire connected to?

Check for draw on the plow pos cable also...have seen under hood solenoids go bad and draw power when off before.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  15. I 've also tried one of those inductive ammeters on the positive cable. It looks like maybe 2 or 3 amps?? This is really starting to piss me off!

Thanks to all!!
  16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Iso mod click's because when you connect the grill plugs it trip's the relay inside the Iso that switches the head lights from truck to plow.

Have you let is set over night will all the fuses out? or just tested for amp draw with them out?

Let is set with the plow power wire disconnected?

Just a note:
    If the plow is wired hot all the time, it doesn't take much to forget and leave the controller in the float position, depending on which controller you have.
  17. I disconnected the plow last night and let it set. Started fine this morning after fully charging the battery yesterday. Is the Iso Mod drawing power when the relay clicks in? I guess I need to move the control wire for the fishstick to a keyed source. I've had it this way(hot all the time) for years...I don't get it.

Thanks B&B
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When the relay/relays in the Iso are energized, yes. But shouldn't be enough to kill the battery over night. But move your wire that should be on an ignition hot source regardless.

Did you change anything (wiring wise) right before this became a problem?
  19. crete5245

crete5245 Member

Just a note, it does not do any good to use a volt meter to go from the postive post to the postive cable, this will not tell you anything. It will only tell you if you have voltage. There is no such thing a a voltage draw. You would have to have the meter on the amp reading, the problem is that most DVOM meters the amp reading will only go to 5 to 10 amps. You need a inductive pickup one that will go to several hundred.
    With a amp draw of 2-3 amps, that will drain the battery over night. You want less than 1 amp of a draw.
  20. Sorry Dude, but I've twisted more than a few wrenches in the last 30 years. I've located many problems with overnight draws resulting in dead batteries using the method I described above. The only reason I asked for advice was in case I was missing something or if someone had a similar problem. Depending on the scale of your inductive tester, it can be difficult to locate 2-3 amps.