1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Something is discharging battery.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Sep 26, 2009.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

My neighbor has a light duty 93 K2500 reg cab long bed she is trying to sell. I replaced the battery in it for her since it was dead. The battery was only a year old and it was so dead, it would not even recharge. She said that the truck has had a problem with the battery going dead in the past.

Is there anything on this year or model that is a common source for discharging the battery when it sits.? I'm not even sure where to start on trying to fix this. I'm contemplating on buying this truck but don't want to buy anything with an electrical problem like this. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start? Truck has the 350/auto tranny. Thanks.

Wayne

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing specific to that truck Wayne but it shouldn't be too tough to track the circuit down thats causing the draw. A little time pulling each fuse with an OHM meter accords the positive battery connection will track it down fairly quickly. Start with any non factory accessories thats been added such as stereo equipment or lights as those are the most common to cause an issue. Make sure if it has a trailer connector plug it's not internally corroded, thats a big but often overlooked common one too..

3. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

B&B is dead on, like always. Something I have seen a few times is the glove box light (if equipped) a lot of times stays on when the box is shut, running the battery down. Good luck.

4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Guys, thanks for the info. B&B, I assume that you mean I should pull the fuses in the fuse panel and test there. I'm not very good on how to use an ohm meter to check electrical stuff. What settings should I use on the meter as it has DC volts, DC amps, and ohms.? I assume the meter should show 0 if there is no current draw? Sorry if I sound stupid but I've never used the meter for anything but checking coils, batteries, and alternators. Thanks.

Wayne

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

To educate yourself a little first Wayne just do a net search for "parasitic battery drain" or something along those lines. There's plenty of how to procedures around I'm sure you could get a quick basic education from in the procedure to use an OHM meter to test for battery drain.

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Ok, thanks.

Wayne

7. Racer593

Racer593 Member

try checking the underhood light also

Chris

8. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Ok, thanks. The underhood light has a bulb in it but does not work. I will check it.

Wayne

9. this sounds ovbious but I have seen the switch in the door jamb for the cab light break off and stick on, should be pretty apparent though especially in the dark.........b&b's approach will probably save you time in the long run keep an eye out for where people have pulled power for a stereo, lights etc then just cut the wire when they pulled there stuff out(like when they sold the truck to someone else) and said wire later makes contact with something grounded. I have come across that before.

10. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

The dome light does not come on and the wife told me that she is pretty sure that the husband pulled the bulb out so maybe you are correct about the door jamb switch. I didn't have time to look at it and have not had a chance to look at the truck since. It still has the factory radio in it and there are no add on lights. I will have to check to see if it has a trailer light hook up out back that might be causing the problem.

Wayne

11. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

If ur not good with an ohm meter a simple test light between the neg bat cable and the bat post. The test light should not be bright, It should be out or very dim. If the light is bright it has a draw and needs to be traced.Make sure the hood light Is disconnected and doors are closed too.