1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Something Completely Different

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Yukondean, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Yukondean

Yukondean Member

I don't use the Snowex 7500 I bought for salt or sand.
    I am trying to use to as a hopper that will dispense dirt at the required rate.

I have a gold mine in the Yukon. We sluice at about 300 yards of pay dirt an hour. That pay dirt can be anywhere fron fine sand to 3 foot boulders.
    After an number, 40-80 hours we shut it down and clean out the sluices. This is done by washing the mats in on a enclosed steel bed and the result in a slurry with no more than 3/4" rocks but mostly 1/4 inch minus. This flows through pipes and down to a one cubic foot tote box. The tote quickly fills with water and the concentrate settles out and stays in the tote while the water flows over the sides.
    We end up with an almost full tote of concentrate mixed with water. We pump off the extra water on the top and transport that tote to the gold processing room.
    Then I have to shovel out that tote into a hopper that feeds the machine that separates the gold from the gravel. The live bottom sluice.

The issue is that I am too old to enjoy shoveling.
    I bought a used Snowex 7500 in the hopes that I could use it as the hopper and get the Snowex 7500 to auger out the concentrate at the correct speed into the live bottom sluice that cleans the gold. It does not have to be preciece as the machine has its own auger feed.
    There are two problems I have found:
    First, the nice man that sold me the " working" 7500 neglected to tell me the controller was not working.so I need to get that fixed

Second and this is really what I need help with, is that I did not realize what an irregular shaped opening the 7500 has. I have removed the spinner assembly, I don't need it but I do need to completely block off the area that the auger discharges the material though. Otherwise the wet slurry concentrate will run right out. If I leave the tote overnight, the concentrate will settle and the slurry becomes more solid and then I can use that opening and auger the material out.

We both have very short seasons to do our business and have to be very fast and resourceful when things break. So I was hoping I might get some ideas as to how to block off the opening while filling the Snowex and then still be able to auger out the material into the sluice system.
    I will try to post a couple of pictures by way of explanation
    Thanks, all suggestions gratefully accepted.

2. Yukondean

Yukondean Member

Here is the tote that I hope to replace with the Snowex 7500

I am hoping to put the Snowex 7500 right where the blue steel tote is. It will be heavy but we have lots of equipment to carry it and will install legs the right height.
    I need to be able to block off that irregular shaped hole the auger puts the product through until it solidifies.

image.jpg

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Someone else will chime in but I don't think you're going to have enough torque to get wet dirt out of it

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

A simple slide gate.? I've never used a snowex 7550. Are you beefing up the motor or running it stock, also I think with the volume you are planning on you will wear that poly out pretty quick....
    Gold Mine...you are living my dream. That and money tree plantation...

5. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Wow.. my dream too!! You should ask Todd hoffman.. lol.. I agree don't think it will have the power to move that material

6. Yukondean

Yukondean Member

Thanks, please keep the suggestions coming.
    I would ask Todd but I stay away from him, there is very little respect for him up there. He has moved now, he will be mining in Oregon this season.
    I know and like Parker and Tony though.

7. Yukondean

Yukondean Member

I plan to put in about a cubic yard at a time. It is pretty easy shoveling, just repetitive for an hour or so.
    Is there a bigger motor available, or I can off set it and gear drive it down?

8. Hysert

Tony reminds me of my dad. Stubborn old Dutchman!! Ya I could understand the feelings about Todd, he seems tobe all about the camera!!

I'm wondering if a pintel chain type would have worked better..

9. Mr.Markus

The auger spreaders tend to bridge with wet compactable material, it'll definitely need some good vibrators on it...
    I used my 1 st generation western to move wet crushed limestone, but it has a conveyor belt and it bogged it way down...
    [​IMG]

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Digging out of that box would suck. How about this, build up the sides of the floor the box is sitting on, Then build a box where the sides fold open so the pay dirt sits flat on the box/floor, much easier to shovel with a flat shovel.Or buy a mulch mule!

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

What's up with that pic, it looks like ur mining in your kitchen?

Best of luck on the gold!

12. Yukondean

Yukondean Member

Not quite in the kitchen, that is our gold processing room, here is where we mine

Sorry, no, we are mining in the same valley as the Gold Rush TV folks. Klondike, near Dawson City, Yukon

image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What aboot a spreader for a dump box.

Kind of like this one?

Just an example pic.

image.jpg

14. Hysert

You have alot of ground opened up! And 300yrds an hr is massive! Are you on the gold? You must have a massive wash plant!

15. Yukondean

Yukondean Member

It is a big operation

I appreciate the help and all suggestions, diverting a bit off track, yes we are on the gold. The difference between us and the gold shows is we mine gold, they mine ratings. None of the tv show miners make money, but Parker is close. Discovery and sponcers pay most of the bills.
    It is a big wash plant.

image.jpg

16. Yukondean

Yukondean Member

We do not dig and hope. Our digging is planned out a year in advance by the use of drilling every 50 yards in a square pattern. It is much cheaper to drill than it is to dig down into 40 feet of permafrost and find out that you are not in the gold Chanel

17. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Well I know nothing about mining but I can say with some confidence an auger is not the right tool for the job.
    What you want is a gas powered spreader with a pintle chain.
    Remove the spinner assembly and you're all set.
    If you don't want to run it indoors an electric one but the gas motor wold be best

18. Yukondean

Yukondean Member

We have lots of both 110 and 220 volt power. Or I could us the fume extractor.
    Is there one version of the pinte that stands out. Obviously we don't want concentrate to leak out of the hopper assembly.

19. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I think a steel or stainless steel spreader is what your looking for with a drag/pintel chain. They have a door in the back that slides up or down to shut material flow off. I would go with gas engine or hydraulic, with hydraulic you should be able to pumb it up to an electric pump. Check out salt dogg or swenson website and you can see 2 different door closure styles, one is just a lever that slides the door up and down and the other is a crank up like a tongue jack on a trailer.

20. Mr.Markus

I don't believe there are any chain or conveyer hoppers that are sealed on the bottom track...