1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

someone want to give me an overview of how a residential plowing business would work?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jerseydrew, Jul 16, 2010.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i have recently gotten my second truck (chevy 1500) and have now ordered my plow which will be installed next month. i really got it just to do my property. but since the truck is registered to our company it would be simple to add the insurance for snow removal. i would not be doing all nighters i would want to offer it to a few mile radius from my house just to make a few bucks back from the investment in the plow. i know that if i offer services to the public i would also need a spreader and salt.

but what are the dynamics of the business?
    what is considered average pricing in the north jersey area?
    do you offer different levels of service, i.e. opt 1 just push snow (rough cut) opt 2 push snow and salt opt 3 push snow, salt and sidewalks...etc?
    how often (how many inches) does removal get done?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Mst resadentals customers don't want salt so why the spredder?

3. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Res. snow plowing

Don't try to reinvent the wheel bud. Figure out what you're worth for the time and machine, estimate the average ET for the work, and tell the customer when you intend to do the work. It's pretty easy, if it snows i'll push it and you'll pay me. Keep 15 to 20 bags of Ice melter laying around and if you need to apply it, go to the farm store and get a feed scoop for 7 bucks, they work great. After 20 plus years, I still have times when I do it that way, If your plan is to start small, There is only two things you ABSOLUTELY have to have, GOOD Insurance and gas money

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Be prepared to field( on average) at least one call per regular client you have wondering when you'll be there, wondering when you'll be coming back to clean up the windrow the town left at the end og the driveway, to dig out the mail box(WTF do you mean that's not included), can you do my neighbors, my inlaws and my dogs house?? All at the same time, wait what do you mean wait, I thought I was your only customer, (GASP) you have others? and they're as important as me??? EGADS Man, what are trying to do, give me coronary????? Oh BTW I need you here now I'm having chest pains(or a big PITA, you remember my wife) .........Residential plowing is rough, and it will take you years to build a route of good paying and understanding clients, many drop out and go all commercial or just plow hourly for someone else since people are so difficult.......

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

WOW I've been doing it wrong for 24 years, I average 2 call per storm with 100 customers. And yes the mailbox is included, I'll be happy to do your neighbors house $$. No I dont shovel. Having chest pains call 911

It does take time to build up a tight customer base. But then, I bet it takes a while to build up a tight commercial base too.

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Well I'm sure being the plowmiester has contributed to your success :))

I admit I painted a dark picture......... And it really isn't that bad. I was whining!! Sorry. I'll still take commercials over residentials any day.

7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Sounds about right to me.