1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Someone that has installed hideways in Ford F250 headlights 2005ish

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by rb8484, Oct 1, 2010.

1. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I upgraded my headlights in my Excursion this past spring and I need to install my strobes in the new headlights. These lights have a rear housing to them and then the reflective plastic in them. There is about 3/4"-1" between the 2 of them and not sure how to go about installing them. If i drill them to fit in the rear housing, they will be to close to the reflective part in the housing and would prolly melt them. I have 90 watt tubes. Anyone have any photos of where they mounted them and how they did it?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Probable should have drilled them in when you have the head light out it would have been a lot easier! I installed mine in the bottom of the light when i pulled out the turn signal/parking light assemble and installed them that way.

3. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

These are one piece, they are easy to take out, just pulled one out and was looking at it and trying to figure out how to drill them, the old headlights were easy as they didnt have the inner reflective piece in them.

4. 01SMOKINSD

01SMOKINSD Junior Member

I dont have any pics, but I have done 2 sets of these at work in 2008 Ford Expedition's which have a similar designed head light assembly. I drilled a 1 1/2" hole in the outer plastic housing and then drilled the 1" hole into the reflector housing. I have had zero problems out of these vehicles mounting the strobes this way. FYI... these are both a 90w supply w/ 4 20w tubes. No problems with heat at all. Good luck!

5. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

You dont have moisture problems? With having the 1 1/2" hole in the outer plastic, doesnt that make them not waterproof?

6. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I did the same thing.
    Drilled a big (maybe 1-1/2") hole in the back and a 1" in the actual lense for the strobe. I taped up any seams with water proof tape. No moisture issues yet - been over a year.

7. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Hey, thanks again! Now I need to get some amber tubes. Buggers are not very cheap!

8. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I hear that. I'm running two ambers & two clears up front, and four clears out back.

9. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Can we get a picture on how this was done/location of bulb? I have the same headlights. Did you mount them to the reflective part? And the 1.5 inch hole was just to get it through?

10. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Have you ever had a problem with running the tubes in the reverse lights? I wanted to put some in mine, as I have a 6 way strobe kit and am only running 4. It didnt look like there was enough room. I would be afraid of melting them. I have an Excursion, and they have different tail lights, are the 250's have larger area for the reverse lights?

11. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I didnt take any photos, but I could get a photo of the front showing the location.

12. gtmustang00

from Berlin

That would be great. Did you do the marker lights too?

13. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Nope, just the headlight, both lenses are clear, so I went in the headlight, higher up so you can see better with the blade on, and larger area for heat from the stobes. I will work on getting a photo this weekend.

14. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Did you get the flange mount or soft mount?