1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Someone stole my salt container off my truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Who the frig would steal a cat liter container! We use these Tidy Cat cat liter containers for carrying salt, I HAD one that fit perfect between the legs of my v box and bungied it so it says put. I went to refill the bucket today and its missing. Luckily it was empty. I also lost a nice, perfect size pitcher I used to spread it with that was in it. Not a huge deal but now makes me a bit nervous about people walking up our property, what will they take next!
  2. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

People take the cheapest things when it's just as easy to still something expensive.

Over the years I have had those stupid $3 hose nozzles stolen several times off my boats when the person could have stolen a $2000 electronics unit by opening an unlocked door and undo 4 screws in no time at all.
  3. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

post em' up
  4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That sucks. Being it was empty is it possible it blew or bounced out while driving?
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Look in the ditch along the road you will find yours or someone elses
  6. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Luckily it was empty? Id think they wouldnt touch it if it was full? Mayby it is on the road?
  7. nixray

nixray Senior Member

I'd agree that could have been bounced out or misplaced or worse someone took that while scouting your property.????

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Hey I thought I was the only one who used those! Thumbs Up
    Better than a 5 gal bucket and easier to carry. I set mine in the pass seat floor tho.

As to who would steal it? Any scumbag that thought you had something inside it.The easier to take / faster it will get taken! Like mentioned above could be someone lookin over the lot to see what is available at a later time. :gunsfiring:
  9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

There's a really nice yellow one sitting on the side if 79 in the median on the south bound side.
  10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Guys, he said he "bungied it so it says put." I'm glad he does, people swerve dangerously around the most harmless road debris and end up dead (saw it happen in front of me)...please secure your loads the way the OP does.
  11. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Bungies can come undone though, seen it before. Even the best tied down loads can shake enough to cause something to come loose.
  12. theholycow

Hmm...I suppose if it's just bungied around the bottom, maybe. When dealing with kitty litter/joint compound buckets, I always put my bungie through the handle, stretched tight enough that it can't come loose. Something has to break for it to escape my truck.
  13. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Ive done that befpre, nothing was holding it around the bottom and it slid which let there be just enough slack for it to come undone, luckily my tailgate was up! Thumbs Up :realmad:
  14. nixray

nixray Senior Member

With that being said. Id keep everything under lock and key and keep a really close eye on everything.
  15. RSE

RSE Member

People sometimes watch us from windows, doorways and other cars. You got to be so careful when you stop and go inside to collect money or use the bathroom. I've lost a nice roof rake that was bungied to the sander, extentions and all. Shovels walk away too....
  16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

LOL, I was going to retrace my travels but figured it would cost me more in fuel then if I just bought more cat liter.
  17. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

It is weird the small stuff people will steal. People keep stealing my scoops, I buy these plastic grain scoops from TSC that I keep in the back of the truck for scooping salt out of the box when it gets spilled there ( ways easier and faster than a shovel) and they keep disappearing. Like there when I park the truck and gone when I get back in it. I mean they cost $5 but I've lost three now and have started keeping them in the cab. Yet the $500 unsecured Toro Powerclear beside the scoop never moves. :rolleyes:
  18. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I'm a bungee cord junkie. LOL I see them everyday laying along the road. Most are new and still have the hooks! I've gotten a good 4 dozen so far that are in like new condition. I can't help but pull over and pick them up. I even found a heavy duty ratcheting chain binder used to secure big equipment.
  19. theholycow

Lately every time I go to the junkyard I leave with a bunch of bungees. That's another good place to find them. If you're buying any parts then they won't even notice the bungees attached to your tool box/bag.
  20. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I will not leave the chute on my salt dogg, when I get home it comes off