1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

someone help mylittlescoop choose a truck!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mylittlescoop, Feb 18, 2005.

1. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

Hello all I need some help PLEASE I need a few opinions and you don't have to post directly in this post you can PM me if you'd like. Ia m very interested in Derick in nj Dodge ram only he wants 2,000 for it does anyone think it is worth that much for the milage? It does look clean no doubt but I am trying to get him to lower the price.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=204587&posted=1#post204587
    I also have this one this guy lives 5 minutes from me like 2 developments down th street said he would take 2800 for it it has never been plowed with and looks IMMACULATE! starts like a cham and runs like a bull...
    If anyone heas been following me I have been looking for something to get me through until I can get something new. I have not been having luck with anything I buy so at this point I am at the point where I am scared to buy anything! I am trying to break myself out of this rut. Please help :)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=4529174670&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If I lived closer to NJ I would buy that thing out from under you so fast you would'nt have time to make that post about it. The one on e-bay.

I would buy that truck in a second for 2k. I would even go to 3k.

The RamCharger I would go to 1800. Is well used and has no plow. You will be looking for a plow for either of these. The Full size GMC looks cleaner and had no plow on it before.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

K-5 Chevy

I really like that '86 K-5 Blazer. Very nice for its age. I may be a little partial cause i have a '90 Suburban with the same bodystyle. Since that one has no rust, if you get the k-5, make sure to clean real good underneath back by tailgate. Especially if it has a trailer hitch. I will rot the end of the bed where the tailgate hooks in. I would think by the time that happened, you would have your new truck (at least a few years).

The other reason I think the K-5 is for resale. It is much cleaner than the Ramcharger. Does that year have the removable top? I think that stopped in '85 (I had an 85 diesel k-5 for a short bit.)

I bought my 1990 Suburban for $2500.00 with 7.5 Wetern plow. Had 135,000 and a tired motor (burns lots of oil and rust on the in the rocker panels, around tailgate. I think he could have gotten 3500 or 4000 for it but was for me (brother in law). He bought the truck brand new. It paid for itself and the tranny I had rebuilt, and paid for some of my new truck. I will list the prices of some of the charges for fixing diff. stuff.
    $1000 for tranny rebuild (995 or something with shift kit and warranty) all he does is trannys
    $200 for Warn Premium Hub Locks installed at 4WD shop
    Fixed tailgate sensor switch that sensed when tailgate was shut to roll up back window(no sensor now) fixed free by me
    tune up done by me ($$???)
    Body panels i would have needed would have been 500 or so (would have fixed myself and then someone else paint, paint not incl.)
    New motor (rebuilt from Jasper) was 1800.00 (don't know if with or without core charge)
    I used the truck for 1 1/2 yrs everyday back and forth to work (35 miles) and to the same city carrying plow. 10 mpg with tired motor (maybe 1 dead cylinder). Should get better with smaller k5. Suburban would go through anything, and aftermarket parts galore. 3500 might be just a hair steep. maybe 2500 or even 3000. Prolly worth 3500 with no rust though.

Hope any of that helps.

Jeff

4. mylittlescoop

from nj

I am going to go check it out today..I have been dying to ask for opinions for like 2 weeks now every time I go to do something I chicken out becasue I get scared.
    I checked his feedback and I have to make sure he is not a consignment seller. Seems he has sold a few cars in his day on Ebay sometimes dealers have consignment sellers hopefully it will all work out. I am dying to show some equipment on site!
    I am going to make this work work no matter what! I will claw on the pavement down to my bare nails if I have to! Have come tooooo far!
    I know there is nothing like going in person but I am always so grateful for insight and opinions.
    Even though your all so far away I never feel alone when I try to work it out on site

5. Derrick in NJ

Derrick in NJ Member

You are still more than welcome to come and check out my truck if you want. I promise, I won't bite your head off, intimidate you, pressure you into doing something you don't want, etc... :) Nothing to be scared about, I'm a normal guy (well, as normal as I can be! :dizzy: lol!)

6. mylittlescoop

from nj

Derek your just to sweet! I am definately going to be there today! I have to stop by my daughters fathers house I have been putting it off bbecasue i have been afraid my truck would not make it but I HAVE to go today,
    I am going to call you in a couple hours :)

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Love the Jimmy. Sweet truck. Sweet deal. It's hard to beat a truck that has never seen salt, then again, it's hard to immediately put them in salt too!! Be sure to rustproof it.

On the other hand, don't you already have a plow to fit a Ramcharger? Don't forget to factor that into the equation....

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

<i>"On the other hand, don't you already have a plow to fit a Ramcharger? Don't forget to factor that into the equation...."</i>

I did not read that in his post. That is a <b>HUGE</b> factor.

9. derekbroerse

Tried to post this earlier, but wouldn't go thru.

Love the Jimmy. Sweet truck. Sweet deal. It's hard to beat a truck that has never seen salt, then again, it's hard to immediately put them in salt too!! Be sure to rustproof it. 3.08 gears are not exactly optimal for plowing, but it can be done in low range if necessary, it just slows down your reverse speed durastically. 1986 is the last year for the carbureted motor. The autolocking hubs are convenient, but not well known for reliability (cheap and easy to change to manual). I would also locate a set of factory steel rally wheels for it for winter use, and keep those snazzy aluminum jobs out of the salt. Certainly isn't low mileage though.

We had a brand new (at the time ;)) 1985 Sierra Classic shortbox pickup in white... looked sooooooo much like that truck. I'd love to buy it for myself.

On the other hand, don't you already have a plow to fit a Ramcharger? Don't forget to factor that into the equation....

Just a few things to think about.

10. derekbroerse

Whoa weird!!!!! Looks like it started to go thru before it crashed on me....

Oh well... slightly duplicated info... we'll live..!

11. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Looks like somebody bought the Blazer at the buy now price.

As far as the Ram goes, I'd say go check it out and drive it then make your own decision. The only advice I can give you is not which truck you should buy, but not to tip your hand in advance about how much you "want" and "would love to buy" the truck you're about to go look at. It's hard to negotiate a price when the seller knows you really want the vehicle.
    Now, I'm not saying that means you shouldn't buy it, I'm just saying you'd have been in a far better position if you simply expressed an interest in looking at it and left your enthusiasm out of it. JMO. Good luck. If you get it, let us know how you like it.

12. mylittlescoop

from nj

Someone did the bin ON MY WAY THERE! I don't believe it! I got there the guy broke the news to me! I was so depressed.....Someone from michigan.
    Was waiting for the dude to get back from work. He has like a 400,000 house was amazing!
    Back to the drawing bored! That was a once in a life time oppurtunity.I think I am going to lay in bed for the next week with a box of bon bons and tissues :(
    It is ok I would have not bought it for 3500 . It was missing some lugs and had a bit more dents and rust then the picture shows. It was not bad though.
    :(

13. mylittlescoop

from nj

Your right Jon! totally right. the guy told me he only padi 1,000 for the truck when I told him I have a body shop he revieled that he goes to bordentown auctions and the like. He is from Russia and buys and sells all the time. If the guy does not show uo he is going to sell me the truck for 2,000 and I am going to get mty guys to paint some of his auction cars cheper than what he pays for them.
    I doubt that dude will not get the truck but I would not have paid 3,500 for it plus hes flying in from michigan and picking it up. It said original paint but that was not true either there were signs of over spray on the hood and orange peel on the quarter panel. It was definately cheap clear coat whatever was used...
    Oh well back to the crawl!

14. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

scoop......you not taking my advice ?? :eek: Shame on you :nono:

15. mylittlescoop

from nj

Hahahah of course I am LMAO Where have you been?! :cry: