1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Someone help me get a urethane cutting edge...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jaclawn, Oct 13, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

I can't seem to get in touch with the housedoktor to place an order for a cutting edge. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on one of the edges???????

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Call me direct at 860/859/0739
    Thanks Dino

3. bandit_36

bandit_36 Junior Member

urethane cutting edge

I'm currently a mech. for the State of NE Dept. of Roads & I am constantly getting mailings from "Winter" a snow plow supply catalog & they have the cutting edges you are looking for. Feel free to e-mail me & I will get you in touch with them.

4. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Send me an e-mail with your e-mail address so I can e-mail you their e-mail address, or something like that. If you don't do e-mail, call me Monday at the office and I'll give you the name of the company that was giving them away at the SIMA Symposium in Portland. I won one, but am still waiting for it four months later. I'll let you know if they don't come through.

Mike
    snowpros@juno.com
    219-93SNOWPROS
    219-937-6697

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Edge

Mike,

There are actually many distributors for "that" company who post here on this forum. I am in the process of becoming one right now myself. I just got off the phone with the VP of Finance of "that" company. I mentioned that you are still waiting for the edge you won, from 4 months ago. I have a feeling you will be receiving it <B>very</B> soon now! ;)

~Chuck

6. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Canadian distributor

Any body got any info on a Canadian disributor for these edges? Has any of you fitted them to a V, I understand they can be cut with a good circluar saw.

Thanks Bill

7. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Dino has one on his Westrn MVP. It took a 20 degree compound miter cut on the center ends. I will look into a Canadian dealer for you. I can ship to Canada, but it would be cheaper for you to find a Canadian dealer I think.

~Chuck

8. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Thanks Chuck -

I know who to call when I need a second one!

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Bandit_36 writes,

"I'm currently a mech. for the State of NE Dept. of Roads & I am constantly getting mailings from "Winter" a snow plow supply catalog & they have the cutting edges you are looking for. Feel free to e-mail me & I will get you in touch with them."

I just got off the phone with Winter Equipment Co in Ohio. This company does not stock or sell urethane edges only rubber, carbide, and steel. I understand there is a difference in performance between rubber and urethane.

10. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Yes, there is a <B>BIG</B> difference. The urethane is a much harder compound. Much more durable, and doesn't have a "memory" like rubber does. It is available in various thicknesses, from 1" - 4" thick. I am not sure, but I think it can't be used on bottom trip plows, like the Fisher.

Dino, John Parker, Alan, or anyone else care to elaborate more about urethane edges?

~Chuck

11. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

You can run urethane on trip edge plows but you can't have the edge sticking up beyond the hinge point. The result is that you can't use as wide an edge and get as much life out of it. The reason you can't go as wide is that snow will get behind the edge when it trips (if it extends beyond the hinge point) and prevent the blade from returning fully to battery.

I'm new to urethanes, so whatever else I could say would be only second hand. After we get a couple storms I'll be able to offer information based on my own experience.

12. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I ran into the problem of too wide a cutting edge years ago on my frist fishers, and if the edge of the cutting edge is above the hinge point it will cause problems. I presume the urethane edges come as a flat strip in a commom width. Are they predrilled? I assume that if you can cut them with a saw they would be undrilled, and you simply fit them to the moldboard. I've used grader cutting edges for the last number of years 8"x 5/8", just cut and inch off one side and burn new bolt holes. It seems that the EZ-V goes thru edges a lot quicker than my straight blades. I can only get a season out of a grader edge, compared to two on a straight blade. Anybody else feel this way? I'm tring to find a longer lasting edge, and I understand from past posts the urethane edges clean better.

Bill

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I agree that the v plows wear very quick. The urethane will last longer and it is easy to drill. I get 2-3 storms from my steel v plow edges,and I have gotten 6 storms from the urethane so far, and will get at least 3 more. I know people that have run edges on fisher way over the moldboard and no probelms, I tell the customer about the pros and cons, and let them decide.
    Dino

14. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

cutting edges

My first comment is for Mike at Snow Pros. This is Vince Panaroni of MTS who donated those blades to SIMA for the meeting held in June.

We gave away two edges and SIMA was to give us the name address telephone number and size of the blade to be shipped.

I personnally when I got the names, I called both the people and asked those questions. That was over two months ago. I don't remember either of the winners names, but I will be calling both of them on Tuesday of this week coming October 24th. If you didn't get your blade then we didn't get the information to ship it to you.

If you can't get a hold of Dino or Alan or John Parker, call Vince Panaroni at MTS. Our web site is http://www.mptek.com it will give you any information you need. Please call me direct if there are any hang ups.

You guys in Canada, I may be able to help you through one of our Canadian companies. If chuck can help he will.

Chuck, I got your email just before I left on my trip. i would appriciate it if you got in touch with me and I will make sure that the appropriate action is taken. You can email me at vincentp@mail.tds.net If there is anything any body needs concerning edges or spinners for boxes, please let me know.

15. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Vince -

Thanks for your follow up. Apparently you were waiting for me while I was waiting for you. You did call on Tuesday like you said you would. I hope you got my fax Wednesday with the diagram of the hole pattern.

We really appreciate you and MTS donating those edges. If the talk on the internet is any indication, you're getting some good publicity that should translate into sales.

Thanks again!