1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Someone has higher up friends then me

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Blades Away, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Blades Away

Blades Away Junior Member

So last winter I serviced a large facility in my area. Approx. 8 acres large. We landed the contract due to the previous company " allowing" someone to fall and break their arm. We bid it and got it. Bid was based on some basic requirements such as; pre- treatment, snow removal of areas on their " snow scope". So we won the bid and proceeded to fullfill our contract. First night on the lot we were not the only company there. There was a crew with a skid steer and home made set up. I called our contact with the company and asked what the deal wad. He said, we are having this crew do all of our small forklift areas so that our company could focus on the large shipping/ parking areas. I told him that I would still help since it was in our contract for all areas. Long story short we were told by several higher managers that we were doing great and were much better than the previous company.

And then it happened. Another manager took over the contract oversight mid season. He decided that he wanted us out there on a dusting and that it would be a zero tolerance facility. Since we bid per push I agreed. We went through the season no problems except a minor salt shortage. No real effects. Our contract renews every November 1st. So I attempted to call them several times to make sure they still want us. Finally I get a hold of the manager I dealt with on oct. 31. He says that he is no longer going to oversee the bids and that the mid season manager is on complete control now. So I called that manager and left him a message reminding him that our contract renews nov. 1st. He calls back on nov.2nd and says we have decided to go with another company that can handle all areas. I politely reminded him that our contract had already renewed the day before. He then says yep, but were going with them. Turns out it is the guys that were out there with us last winter and they happen to be big buddies. It looks like someone has higher up friends then me and that someone Higher ip didn't want me there this year.

Any similar experiences?

2. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

You don't really believe that the contractors "allow" someone to slip and fall do you?? You say you were charging by the push. Was your push price the same for a dusting as it was for 4"?

3. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Happens all the time.

More than likely the guys with the homemade set up won't do a very good job and yet it'll be overlooked because they are buds.

4. Blades Away

per push

No, we adjusted the amount of salt/time accordingly for dustings and low amounts. Most storms here doesnt require more than 2-3 pushes to achieve a safe area. Also, the ones who got the contract has been performing other work for the plant so best I can figure they went with them because they are more familiar and they only wanted one plow company this year instead of 2 which makes sense.

When the current company helped us last season they took longer to clear just the forklift areas than we did to clean the enitre plant. We actually had to help them becasue they were losingh so much snow during pushes. I wish the best of luck to them. I wasnt making enough on that contract anyway.Thumbs Up

The previous company didnt really allow someone to slip they were showing up about once a storm but were waiting until the storm was alsmost over before they even plowed. They had too many contracts to attend to so they spread themselves thin.

5. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

You will prob get a call from them mid season. Please help us. Then you can start making enough on the contract if you know what i mean.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Personally I'd take them to court.

If you had an automatic contract renewal in writing, and you got no written notification from the manager, then you are entitled to the contract, or at least the seasonal value of the contract.

I find it funny that people can cancel contract on contractors, but as soon as a contractor breaks a contract, their taken to court.

7. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I agree. Their loss not to have ya. It seems every year there is a new suprise, where you shake your head and go W.T.F.? Just have to keep moving forward. Have a great season!:drinkup:

8. Blades Away

Unfortunately this is part of the business. Time to move on to whiter pastures. Im using this "loss" to try an acquire some other contracts. I still don't understand how someone without a single plow truck can get a facility of that magnitude. I guess that's why my wtf moment is now laughable.