1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Someone explain this to me please....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Grn Mtn, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

2. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

I'll take a stab...

With t-bar systems the control arm moves on an arc. So it uses the shock as a mounting.

It does seem to me, this setup, would put a lot of stress on the shock mounting brackets??

Derek

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well on a torsion bar suspension there's usually just no room to mount a fullsize airbag anywhere so it look's like Firestone came up with this "air shock" setup instead.And yes It's definitely gonna add some stress to the shock mount's but I wouldn't be afraid to try a set.

4. Briarpatch Joe

Briarpatch Joe Junior Member

I'll Never Spend Money On Anything Except Timbrens

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

now see thats silly, with air bags you get to level the load no matter how little or how much. helps to keep you from shooting the moon and blasting other drivers with your lights.

6. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

What about gas and food and all the other things in life?:D
    I think the new firestone shock will be the best thing for the front ends. It's still a Bilstein shock with a small air bag on top of it. It's not going to carry all the weight of the truck just additional weight with the plow on. They are only for the newer trucks though so us guys witht he older IFS will need to plasma off the old style shock mount and go with the new style, yes I have been looking into it.

7. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

we've had air shocks on our 77' bronco for 25 years now..... work great. with an onboard air compressor, you can addjust ride hight on the fly

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

shocks

i cant imagine how much they cost!. plus its a maintenance item,timbrens are lifetime guaranteed on the parts all the shocks do is control ride quality and keep the tires in contact with the road,plus the shock mounts are not designed to support weight!just my thoughts