1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Someone else plowing your job ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dogplow Dodge, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have a few commercial properties I take care of, and on one of them, it has a 4" trigger to do any plowing. This is a minimal traffic commercial property, and from the beginning, a few years back, they decided that they didn't want to plow until there was around 4" dropped on the grounds. Its mainly singletrack roads comprised of stone and / or macadam, depending on where you are on the property.

I get a text yesterday, thanking me for plowing the roads through the property, and asking if there was any issues to contend with. There are a few employees there, and someone must have contacted the property manager to let them know I was there.

Reality is, that I was there, but I didn't plow. The snow was melting faster than I would have done any good, and it didn't meet the 4" minimum we agreed upon, so after my inspection of the property, I left.

When I responded, I told the manager, I never plowed, as per her specifications of when it was to be done, it wasn't required, so I left without doing anything, and went to another job. Meanwhile, this morning, I go into the property, and all the roads were plowed by someone else. Someone did plow the property after I left. I have no idea who?

Today, I contact the prop manager. She said that she had an idea who did it, and that she would find out why they did, as they have no formal or informal agreement to plow the property. I sent her back a text (she likes to text) telling her that if she didn't need my services any longer, to please let me know, as I would take her off the schedule during events. She replied back that she still wanted me to do the property, as required, and would contact the folks who did the plowing, as she thinks that it was done as a "favor", but also indicated that they were not reliable, and that she couldn't count on them being there every storm when required.

I told her to let me know either way, but ......

How can you beat free snow plowing?

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

She said they are not reliable, you are I assume. Thats how.

3. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Every god dam person wants to text, I'm 28 and I'm sick of texting,

4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Not only that, but that other company was basically trespassing, and plowed without permission. Even a freebie/favor should involve a discussion, and an agreement by the owner (or representative) to the free service. You just DON'T go doing something like that unannounced. Different, of course, if its done by error.

5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

huh wut?

6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

+1. People love to lie and play games over text. Not saying that's whats going on here by any means but I just hate it. You get much faster and direct answers with a phone call. When customers text me and ask about something I will call them rather than text them back. Easier on me for sure.

7. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Personally, I don't like texting, but some customers request it / require it. If I called her @ 7:00 am, she'd probably be p.o.'d at me for doing so. Since she started the texting thing, I just texted her the information I was trying to convey. No issue sending it at 7:00 am, and she got right back to me.

Texting has it's benefit which is to simply convey information. We're not discussing the status of joe's bad day, or Jeanies next bbq, so It works. I just keep the info simple and to the point. This way, I don't have to stop what I'm doing other than to reply.... Yes or n. If it's used just to convey Facts, then I'm ok with it. Besides, it makes a record of the conversation, and you can hold that person to their ..... fingers (not word, I guess)

8. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

It could have been a mistake (sounds like probably not but..)all it takes is a newbie on a new route pulling into the wrong address or lot and there ya go. I used to plow for a large company and have seen that happen. I didnt do it, I just drove around in circles until I found mine lol.

9. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I have a good customer in a upscale neighbor hood and I plow there driveway, but if I don't get there quick enough the neighbor comes over with his atv and plows it being a nice neighbor I guess. The neighbor takes money from me each time he does that. It's not that big of a deal because I have about 12 drives in that area but still it's an easy $30 oh well life goes on.

10. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I had the same issue last winter on one of my biggest, and most pita driveways. Called my contact, and was assured that the drive was still mine, but that a friend had gotten a plow and decided to try it out on the driveway. Our discussion centered on whether it was going to be a race to get to the driveway first, or if they wanted to have someone else do the drive. I told them that if I came back one more storm and it was plowed, it would no longer be on my route. Given that it is a challenging drive, to say the least, I never had another issue.

11. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

That's good you set the rules with them and they respected that. You invest in the equiptment and you make yourself available when it's snows, you deserve getting that money.

12. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Not to mention they are always texting me when I'm plowing or driving.

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I had an issue with this back in about 2003/4. Used to plow a commercial plaza, pain in the ass place with a tire shop on one end and a auto repair place on the other--customer cars left randomly, dropped off by tow trucks wherever they felt like it, and an unauthorized junkyard in the back.

One of their newer tenants had bought a plow for his truck and had kept bugging the property manager for the job, but she always said no she had someone reliable (me).

One morning I come to check the lot around 3am, there was snow on the ground but we hadn't met the 3" trigger depth they wanted, so I drove thru and left.... it was still snowing so I came back at 7am to find the place plowed...wtf?

I called the property manager and she knew nothing about it, but told me about the tenant trying to get the job etc, said it was probably him and she would have a chat with him.... figured that was it.

Got a call mid day from her, all upset, says the tire shop called, said the plow truck (me, apparently) had backed into the side of a customer's Mustang and took off, says it was witnessed and reported by another tenant (who conveniently was the guy with the plow, and his truck wasn't at work that day hmmmmmmm). I said that was ridiculous, and that I would meet her on site.

When I got there I got to see a late model mustang convertible with the driver's fender and door wiped right out... Showed the tire shop guy and property manager the back of my truck with no paint transfer and that the damage was far too low for my truck's dump body to have hit it. Reminded her that I carry insurance in case I make a mistake like that, and that I would have no problem admitting if I had screwed up--but that I would be damned if I would pay for someone else's crash!

They both said they believed me, and I finished out the season with them, but conveniently never got the job again (blessing in disguise). I now love properties with video security cameras!

That is the only property I ever "lost" that way. Got underbid on one or two, and lost a few residentials due to death, moving away, or financial reasons ("I didn't realize it would snow more than once a year.." -- you know that type).

14. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Beat me to it... I was going to say Free B's with no insurance...

I have had two small ones got service all winter for free.. So i kept billing the customers and they paid me

15. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I too have had neighbors "help out" before I got there, worst thing is when they stack it in wrong place, cause thats the only place there atv or what ever could put it, thanks buddy lol
    I have also(even this season) dropped the blade at places I'm not contracted or asked to do. I do do it only on places I know & know the owners. Yes I know I'm taking a risk, but at same time I know I wont wreck anything nor get in trouble from owners, nor take away comps work.....well that last one not really true I guess, I do help out another contractor that I do some sub work for sometimes without asking him, just to help, but I'm also aware not to make his job harder of his site unsafe in anyway....I only do good. :D

16. BC Handyman

Also whether I'm doing someone elses or someone else does mine, I expect the contracted person to still charge accordingly.

17. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

You can come here and clear snow on any one of my jobs you want. There's a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee and a bran muffin waiting for you right now....

18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

LOL... That's funny

19. poopdeckpappy

poopdeckpappy Member
    from KC,KS

I've been seen in a few church parking lots pushing snow before. I've also gone and plowed a couple side streets in crackville where I used to live. Rows of duplexes on steep hills with section 8 housing. Not alot of people can afford new tires these days. My buddies girlfriend called me "Jesus with a snow plow" one day and it hasn't been the same since. Could you imagine it though?

20. BC Handyman

This is what I imagine snowplowing jesus looks like....do you look like this? if so I can imagine it :p I've been called a snow angel xysport

redneck_jesus_by_purge042-d35krh8.jpg