1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Somebody Help please!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJ Contracting, Nov 20, 2004.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 87' Chevy 3/4 ton w/ a Meyers 8' plow. My problem is when i was getting it ready for this plow season i got to checking all the lights, and when i turned on the headlights the truck stalled, now the battery was fully charged the night before. No headlights or running lights with key on engine off or just trying lights.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I would look for a short circuit to ground on the light circuit that is sucking power or "possibly" a bad ground between engine and frame/body/battery.

3. DJ Contracting

I checked @ the radiator core and cleaned those connections I haven't checked the one @ the frame yet it got dark and cold outside. anybody else have any suggestions ?

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

you may have smoked the fusible link at the starter
    youll have to slide under the truck and look for a broken wire at the battery terminal of the starter
    john

5. DJ Contracting

Thanks Car Doctor I have been out of the Mechanics loop for about 10 years and needed somebody to jog my memory. I'll check that seeing how i have to change the starter anyway.

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Very good point you raised and this may be true but before he replaces it and tries to repower the truck he still needs to find the short circuit that caused it to burn/blow in the first place. Lots of times in older trucks the main harness(s) can chafe and short out against the frame and cause a short.

7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I know you said you charged it. Have you cleaned and tightened the connections at the battery?

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it's anything like my Fords it has multiple ground connections to the engine and frame. Clean them all and look at all the wires you can find.
    The truck may of just pick that time to die and the head lights were just a red Herring thrown into make it harder to figure out.
    I have seen GM's that have popped a fuse-able link and part of the systems will work but not all.

9. DJ Contracting

Yeah street surfin cleaned those when i had the battery out thanks

10. DJ Contracting

Well I got the headlights to work , turned out to be a corroded fusible link thanks for the info now i just have to fix my plow angling to the left, already switched couplers/c-coil,now i'm going to try the c-solenoid just wondering why that went bad i just replaced it last season? (e47 Meyers Plow)