1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Somebody doesn't get the concept

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneCowboy, Dec 3, 2009.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

So, we do this little tiny place (so tiny I can't get my truck in there with the wings on). It's a total PITA. We do it with a tractor and you have to carry all the snow around front and dump it on some seriously overgrown junipers. (that's what they want).

We notice this year that someone was pushing snow into our junipers. The place next door. Hey, you can't put your snow in my pile on my property. (now, if I was doing both properties, possible different story, but still, what happens if I run out of room).

the 2nd storm, the tractor operator saw the other plow company doing it and forgot the name but remember the logo. So, we look thru the phone book til we find the logo. Call the guy up and say "do you plow this address?"
    yes, yes I do.

Well, I need you to stop putting snow on my property.

Uhhh, ok, where am I going to put the snow.

Dunno, not my problem, should have thought of that before you bid it (there really is no place for him to put the snow, but again, it's not my problem).

This storm, we also do a dental office, it's in a whole region of little 1/4 block medical offices. Again, no place to put the snow, you just take a parking spot and pile it up. (nothing else you can do) and I see one place next door is pushing their snow over into my lot (not even into my pile, into my already cleared lot grrrrrrrrr).

I push his pile all the way back over onto his lot. (sucks for him I know how to stack snow)

My tractor operator is there later (snowed most of the morning) and calls me up.

"Guess who plows the other lot that is pushing snow into our lot?"

SAME FREAKING GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing: :cry: :dizzy:

Did he miss the memo?

You can't push snow onto other people's property.
    isn't that plowing 101?
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

phone him up, tell him you are going to have him charged with trespassing if he does it again, talk to the police, then if he does it again take a picture, and phone the cops, i have had this happen too, it sucks, because customers don't want to pay to haul anothers snow away if they run out of room to pile snow.
  3. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

lol what an idiot! I'm willing to bet he lowballed both those to get them too :rolleyes::gunsfiring:
  4. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

I hate that! I had a guy do that last year (prolly this year to) he does an oil change next to a lot i do, really no where to push the snow. so he piled it on the curbs at the place i plowed well i went to check the lot out for clean ups and he pushed his pile far enough to take up a parking spot (he was clearing in front of their dumpster) so i got pissed and pushed it all back over right (ended up with a huge pile in front of the dumpster) he got the hint b/c a couple storms later I checked again and he pushed it over and took it to the back of the lot. Which I didnt have a problem with because there is a ton of room but dont push it in the lot im doing and leave it, it makes me look like im doing a bad job.

I bid on this oil change this year at a pretty good price and didn't get it. If we get snow like last year someone's in trouble :D
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Make yourself known to those other properties, if this is how he conducts business he probably won't be around long!
  6. LoneCowboy

I just can't believe it
    I mean who doesn't know that?

Same freaking guy.

and yeah, I'm sure he lowballed 'em to get em/keep em.

It didn't happen last year at either of these two properties, so he has to be new on both.
  7. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Thats almost funny.
    I've had somebody push piles into my accounts yard, i didn't have a problem because he pushed it out of the way. It doesn't affect my plowing so I have no problem with it, he has common sense. Where as this guy doesn't
  8. buckwheat_la

yeah, don't mind guys that are respectful, asking first is a big one too,
  9. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

yeah, in my case, he had plenty of room that he didn't have to ask, But in this case. He needs to find someplace to put the snow instead of in the bushes.
  10. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I have a few places where I need to put snow somewhere else other than the property, and I'll I did was ask the property owners and they were fine with it. The majority of people are ok with it, as long as you respectfully ask.
  11. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Had something similar happen a few years ago on a property that had a common drive lane with an adjacent property, they kept windrowing all of their stuff onto our side, so we did the same thing but maade a nice little wall of snow down the middle and they finally got the idea and quit doing it. Few weeks later they got a truck stuck in one of the entrances to the building. The building only had two entrances into the parking lot and they were pretty spaced out. The abandoned the truck without even attempting to get it out. Took them four days after the storm to move the truck.
  12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just call up the business ownee amd let them know you will be billing him to have HIS snow removed from your lots.
  13. Matts Kitty

Matts Kitty Junior Member
    from Vermont

This has happened to me too. Neighboring business owner kept pushing snow into my lot and burying several parking spaces. My customer calls me from Florida and tells us to remedy the problem. My husband stacked a 7' wall of snow between the two properties with his pick up. The neighbor plows it back over night. We laughed real hard and built him a 15' high wall with the case and packed it with slush. It went well below freezing that night and the neighbor finally gave up.
  14. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

I Love a Happy Ending :laughing:
  15. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

He doesn't litterally own the property, he simply plows it out. How is he going to get him charged if he doesn't own it?

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Bingo! Deal with the property owner, not the plow guy.
  17. buckwheat_la

first off, there are provisions for contractors doing work on a site, you do have the right to protect your worksite, secondly, i would have him charged, by telling the owner of the property that i am plowing what is going on, all a property owner would need to hear is "my price needs to go up because the guy plowing your neighboring lot is making a mess in your lot that i am having to clean up" if i was that property owner, i would be jumping on the phone in a second
  18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Take pictures, and dont touch it. Then show them to your client, and let him deal with it. Even if the guy puts snow in a place that does not bother you, make sure your client knows. If there is run off from his pile, who do you think is responsible for a slip fall. Document it and let the owner handle the problem, and make sure he knows there will be extra costs if you have to move that snow or salt because of the run off freezing up.
    PS cops dont care if you are not the owner of the property.
  19. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Provided he is in an agent capacity (which isn't automatic, it must be expressly given by the owner, unless it is direct sales, or real estate, at least here in NS). Now if it's criminal in nature, or violates an OH&S, civic, or provincial statute or bylaw (only talking Canada here, don't know about stateside), then yes you can "protect" the worksite, and are working in an agent capacity, but I hardly think someone plowing snow into the lot would cut it. Again "you" can't have him charged unless it falls under the above criteria, that would be up to the owner. The rest of your argument does make good sense. :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  20. LoneCowboy

GUY FREAKING DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

both properties.
    After I called him and asked nicely and he promised not to do it and HE DID IT AGAIN.

Talked with the property manager and if we have to come in and remove the snow, they are going to get billed. And they had a nice talk with him too.

yes, this means you Turf Paradise of Longmont Colorado

You can't push snow onto other people's property.