1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some what noobie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snowblowerking, Oct 31, 2015.

1. snowblowerking

snowblowerking Junior Member

Hello everyone! I am a 14 year old (15 in December) and I run my own "company" doing lawn care and snow removal. I know it sounds funny that a 14 year old is on this site talking to people about three times his age. This is going to be my second season doing snow removal. I originally stuck to lawn care and mowed during the summer and had leftover spending money to use during the off season. Well during that off season my money starting getting lower and lower. So my friend got me into this whole snow removal thing. He started out with a 1966 sears suburban 12 with a mower deck and plow. He got this tractor for Christmas and I'm not kidding after the first week he had that tractor he had made over $500. Now to other people that may not sound that much but for us teens that's a lot of cash. So he then started telling me how much cash he was making and he said that I should start too. So I ask my parents. Well lets just say it took a couple tries to let me do this but finally I won the argument by using two main things. Money and exercise. My parents finally budged and said fine as long as I stayed caught up with school work. Now I only have one piece of machinery. And it's my dads Toro Power Max 2 stage snow blower. Luckily my father was nice enough to let me use it. All I had to do was to keep up with maintenance and reimburse him for gas (since I can't drive to get fuel.) So then my parents set some boundaries. And that's to only do it for people in my neighborhood. Which is ok because I have at least 20 homes around me. So I sent out flyers then waited and waited and finally the phone rang. I got two clients right off the bat. I still have those clients today and those are my only clients. Should I expand? I probably could but I also sub for my buddy when he's in an emergency or when he's working at his job. And my buddy has 15 lots in his area he has to clear with that old 1966 sears suburban. So if he can't get to them I got to head over to his house fuel up and off I go. Note I also get payed for subbing for him. So i could expand but most of the time I'm subbing for him because he works at another job and that job is kind of a time consumer but that's ok. So yeah that's my story and I just want to say hi and see how good this forum site is. Thanks!

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

When you say expand, what do you mean? Next neighborhood over?

3. snowblowerking

Yeah pretty much.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Talk to your friend and take his accounts over. If he can't service them in a timely fashion he shouldn't have taken them to begin with. If he took on 15 accounts, they should have been his first priority. You say he has "lots" what kind of lots is he clearing with a garden tractor? Offer him a few bucks and take over his existing accounts.

5. snowblowerking

All of his "lots" are residential. I will suggest the following idea to him.

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Do you mean driveways?

7. JMHConstruction

He has to. No business would hire a kid to clear their lots, too much liability (no offense blowerking). If you have the time, yes I would try to get more than 2 driveways. Remember though, this is a business. People are counting on your for your service. Don't take on more than you can chew.

8. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Stop subbing for your friend.

Offer to take over his accounts.

Ask your customers for referrals because you can handle more business.

Put out more flyers in areas that you can get to on your own.

Advertising is never a one time deal. It has to be done every year.

9. JMHConstruction

Where do you live, what time does school start and end, what is your average snowfall totals, and what's your average number of storms that produce snow?

Keep all of this in mind. What happens if you get a huge storm and run out of time. Your customers will not be happy. Where I live our average snow totals are 20", a few years ago we got 27" in one storm. There were a lot of guys that had a 8-10 hr route with no backup plan for the average 4" snows we get, they were working 24+ hrs non-stop and still couldn't get every thing serviced.

Just really make sure that no matter what happens, you have a back up plan. Even if it's a couple buddies with shovels that could help you out if times got tough.