1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some Salt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diggerman, Nov 24, 2000.

1. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Well I got my 100 tons of salt today, it only took one hour to haul the whole car load to the shop with the three trucks.It doesn't seem like as much as I thought but it is most certainly enough.Would hate to have to move it all by hand thats for sure.
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Wow... and I thought my 5000-lbs. was a lot.
  3. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Glad to know you got that done; let me know if you want to get rid of some of that.
  4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Hey if you need some, you can get in your TRUCK and buzz up to diggermans and get some, and your in luck this is pure salt and it will corrode concrete just jiffy quick,so you'll give something to do in the summer.
  5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

How much is salt costing in that quantity out there?
  6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We went through 225 ton this past week alone.

Alan.... we're paying $34 per ton delivered to our warehouse in tri-axle load quantities.
  7. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

2 cents per lb.; not a bad price. Talked to Dig last night, I ran his numbers and I believe he got it for the same price.

Dig; unfortunately, I won't be able to use your salt. This is because one may not spread salt without the proper additive,Magic (drop to knees). Sorry.
  8. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Damn, we're getting hit $60/ton up here, picked up at the distributor. Granted, we're further from the source, but our distributor is a major agent for Cargill in VT/NY/NH and is buying in multiple carload lots. I've heard rumors of being able to buy out of Canada at $45, delivered but I've never been able to track down the source.
  9. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Dig; I've got a cart that hitches to the back of my Wheelhorse lawn tractor; do you think I could haul a few tons with that?
  10. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

I got a guy quoting me $30.50 / ton out of Chicago. Someone asked me if was white or blue salt. Does it make a difference? Is one of them the one that corrodes fast like Diggerman was writing about?
  11. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

Mike, was 30.50 delivered or picked up. If its from morton is blue. From cargill its white. How's things havn't talked in a while.

12. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Spent 12 Days in Disney World then the last 2 weeks playing catch up getting ready for the winter.

The $30.50 was delivered price quoted by a trucker who said he would beat anyone's price to get the business. At the time our best quote was $31.00/ton.

Is there a difference between the white Cargill salt and the blue Morton in quality or corrosiveness?
  13. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

That guy can't be making much for 30.50 delivered. The blue salt is mixed w/ calcium (I think). White is pure salt. The blue works better. The white salt is more crossive I would say. one of me trucks was stored close to my pile of pure salt and the salt ate it up pretty well.

How are you looking this year, I have a couple of trucks if you need them?.

p.s. how's mikey and his friends doing.
  14. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

60 a ton in Maine, delivered to my shop.

15. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Picked up in Connecticut is $48.00 per ton, 15 Ton minium thats the best price I was able to find around here. Hauled in two truck loads last week and then had them come out and spray the pile with Magic O, sure hope it does what they all say it will. Just my two cents

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i just assumed the blue was a dye added and not another material, thats what i use but do not notice any real world difference, opinions?
    38.00 /ton picked up locally
  17. Matt

Matt Member

I was told that the blue color that we see on some of the salt is just an anti-caking agent that has been added and it doesn't increase the performance of the salt at all. The brown on the other hand is probably Magic and that does increase the effectiveness of the salt substantially.
  18. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

Were getting our salt for $46.00 a ton delivered.
  19. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

The varios colors in salt usually blue and sometimes green are for anti-caking .this does not add to the effectiveness of salt or make it anyless corrosive but will help it from freezing somewhat.Adding calcium does not turn salt blue as calcium is colorless.