1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some questions on Liquid Deicers and where to buy?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by maelawncare, Jul 24, 2008.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I have an apartment complex that has a lot of problems with ice on sidewalks. Just the way the gutters are and the way it was poured it ices up a lot.

I dont have any equipment to spray yet. But its mainly for sidewalks and steps. So i was thinking about just using a back pack sprayer.

What liquid should i use, and where can i get it? I did a search and didnt get much.

2. m_i_k_e

m_i_k_e Junior Member

i have the exact same situation and i have been thinking the exact same thing. i searched the forums and didnt really come up with much conclusive info about it. i found this product recomended for small quantity users, but it seemed pretty pricey. http://www.orisonmarketing.com/deicers/IceClear/IceClear.html anyone have any other ideas?

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

You guys have a few options. You can get liquid cal. or mag. allthough after seeing Marks article today I would think twice about those two. Salt brine may be a better option. You can also do Liquid magic -0, caliber 2000, Ice ban, or Geo melt. Google those for local dealers
    Depending on the size of the walks a backpack may be small. A tank with a hose might work better.
    Are you getting ice build up on these walks ? Liquids struggle burning off ice allthough they do work.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  4. maelawncare

Well im thinking to use it more for pre treat. then use granular after.

5. maelawncare

Well i googled those and it all linked back to plowsite or meltsnow.com. i couldnt find anywhere were I could buy it.

6. maelawncare

7. m_i_k_e

m_i_k_e Junior Member

yeah, i have been searching the net too and i havent found a good supplier in my area. its seems everyone that does serious liquid de-icing is on the coasts. i stumbled across the icenator website too, and it looks good because they are at least in my state. has anyone used icenator? i would like to use it to treat salt as well, but i didnt see anything on their website regarding that. will it work for treating salt?

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

the search button is in the gray bar next to the "quick link's" button.........but here http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=56651&highlight=chloride

P.S. i didn't think they/you got snow in rolla/nixa lol call me and i'll helo you get set up in liquid.......but you'll have to use the search button to find my number :help::bday:

PJ

9. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

haha i know his number and i accept paypal if you would like it fasterpayup:drinkup:

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Not to talk you out of it but liquids do nothing for runoff. If there is just a very little bit of water, maybe. Liquids work great for pretreating sidewalks and parking lots but not runoff. JMO

11. maelawncare

What are you talking about runoff?

Also i did do a search. Read my first post buddy. It only came up with 11 threads and no usefull information.

12. maelawncare

We dont get snow, we get ice

13. T-MAN

:dizzy:

Liquid works fine for a pretreat if you get decent coverage. For "Burning off ice" forgetaboutit. Liquid will not "Burn" ice up, it will penetrate burn down to pavement. Then you can come back and scrape it up. Granular for the most part works the same way. I have never "burned" off ice or hardpack, you still need to come back and mechanically remove the ice once it is loose. Theres no way to "melt/burn" ice except for heated walks, or drives. Torches work as well.

http://www.magicsalt.info/
    http://www.searsoil.com/
    http://www.snisolutions.com/?id=products&cid=2
    http://www.anti-icers.com/

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hint, just find a pic of one of his trucks, the phone# is on the door.
    Happy searching....;)

15. nicksplowing

the runoff that jd refers too is you said water was icing the sidewalk from downspout discharge and liguid deicer wont help in this situation for the simple fact its liguid :nono:........to me the only thing you can do is somehow reroute the flow from the downspouts away from the walks or stock up on a ton of calcium pellets good luck:drinkup:

16. draffinc

draffinc Member

I Agree with Todd,
    Liquids are primarily used as an anti ice application ( prior to the storm to prevent bonding) and as an accelerator for a dry material such as plain rock salt to get it into a brine solution faster (pre wet or treated salt) There are a variety of them on the market that produce different end results. Some work better than others ,some are more corrosive than others and more expensive than others. Air temperature, ground temperature and type of snow (moisture content/humidity) also have key role in their application and effectiveness as well. Run off as Dave said will be another area that will be an issue because eventually like their granular cousins liquids will eventually become dilluted enough that they are no longer effective end need to be re applied or applied with a granular(treated salt) to jumpstart the brine/melting process and control the icing problem. Your on the right track about exploring their usages.. Try the links that Todd gave you, form a plan of attack on what and how you want to integrate them into you opperation and yes trial and error will yield you the best results, contact local suppliers and pick their brains on how "their product" will better serve you and your clients and be carefull of over exceeding claims and cure alls. Liquids are another tool in your tool box and can be extremely useful and cost effective when used properly .

My 2 cents
    Darren

17. maelawncare

I am just wanting something to help. Not really a cure all.

And its not the down spouts that are causing a problem. Its the gutters. This is an apartment complex and the gutters 3 stories up are clogged from ice. So when what ever is on the shingles melts, its just flows right over the gutters and off the side of building. So its allllllllll along the sidewalks. A real pain in the butt. I was hoping that pre treating with liquids might help. I know i would have to keep re applying as they wash away, but still needed information. I live in small town and no one here even knows you can use liquids :p

18. nicksplowing

well now ya threw a wrench into things:dizzy:why would you try to control a problem that could be fixed :rolleyes:tell them to get there gutters or downspouts or storm sewer taking care of then:D the sidewalk icing problem goes away:nod:

19. T-MAN

What sort of budget do they have ? If your gonna play there gonna pay LOL.
    I see two options here. One pay a visit each night at dusk when you have thawing and freezing, and reapply calcuim pellets. Two sell them some insulation for the attic and be done with the problem for good wesport