1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some Questions on Cutting Edges

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by den327, Nov 10, 2007.

1. den327

den327 Member
    from nj

I have a 2005 gmc 1500 Z71 with a brand new 7.5 RD setup on it.Do I need to install a cutting edge?Also is a cutting edge needed for backdragging?Last,does anyone know what else I can do to make my front end on my truck stronger.I already have timbrens installed on the front but feel the front end could be stronger as it seems to be hard to turn when stopped due to the weight of the plow.The way I see it is I would rather put some money into the truck now then be out in the cold with front end problems.Or do you think I'll be OK with what I have.Ill be plowing mostly residential drives.Thanks
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

1) it depends how many drives you're plowing per storm, if it's A LOT then put one on, if not then it is suggested to run the blade without a cutting egde for a season to slightly wear down the factory trip edge.

2) do a search, you can easily make your own backdrag edge if you wanted to, but, try it first the way it is, and if you don't like the results then either make or buy a backdrag edge

3) Sure you could spend a boat load of money making your front end super heavy duty, however, you need to put ballast in the back of the truck for one, and two when you're out plowing the ground will be wet/slippery making steering while still a lot easier....the ballast thing will make a huge difference though if done right and put behind the rear axle!
  3. bersh

bersh Senior Member

For my 94 Chevy, I put a 2x6 cut to length in the slots of my bedliner that are behind the wheelwells to then hold about 500 lbs. of weight. This makes a HUGE difference in the way the truck behaves. I also have Timbrens, cranked my torsion bars two turns, and that helped as well.
  4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

You should never turn your wheels either without the truck moving, at least slightly moving. It's bad for the PS and for your tires.
  5. den327

den327 Member
    from nj

Thanks for the replys.What else could I do to spruce up the front end?
  6. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

tighten up your Torques bars wesport