1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some questions from a rookie

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 1sttimeplower, Sep 27, 2004.

1. 1sttimeplower

1sttimeplower Junior Member

We are starting a plowing business in Central NY. Starting off with some good equipment... a 2005 Ford F-450 with a dump bucket to do hauling during the summer, and a 9'2" Boss "V" poly plow. I am going business to business trying to get work. Should we spend the extra money to get a spreader for salt, or go without for the first year. We don't know the pricing that well in the area, but we are learning. Most places that I am talking with say they take bids. Will businesses even look at a bid without a salter on the truck? How would I go about writing a bid? Does anybody have a sample bid. I am trying to stay commercial this year to get the hang of the plow, but will be doing a little residential. How much does the pricing differ between commercial and residential? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

yes to salter

you have a lot of money in new equipment, charge enough to pay for it...
    the salter is a good idea or have someone you can sub out the salting too. A business can't afford to have someone slip and fall, so most businesses will want the extra service.
    Have you ever plowed before? or are you skipping the dingy and going right to the yacht.
  3. chris k

chris k Senior Member

If you want the commercial work you will have to sand and salt one way or another. If you don't do it yourself then you will have to sub it out. Either way you can make money you just have to figure out which way works for you. You can either spend the money and buy a sander and make all the money but will have to pay for the equipment and product. Or you can sub out the applications and charge a % over what the sub is going to charge you. You probably won't make as much but you wouldn't have to buy any more equipment or product.
    I subbed out until I had enough to purchase my own sander.