1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

some questions about a western plow.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by xgiovannix12, Dec 8, 2012.

1. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

hello guys I bought an 7,5 foot plow for my 3/4 ton. I have a few questions thats been bugging me. Maybe someone can help me clear them in my head.

I have an older pump with the cable joy stick. I was wondering if I could make it connect and disconnect Like a min mount plow setup.
    Or can i convert my pump to an electric system ?

Also I would I need a wire diagram for the lighting system. I want to shut the trucks headlights off when Im using the plow system and plow lights.

Any input is very appreciated I sold my other truck with the same system the the plow was on it perm,
    The system I bought today has a tube system for the lights and pump. and then the blade.

Thanks in advance Im going to be sticking around here for quite a while, Some one you might know me from other forums. Any ways Thank you :mechanic:

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well as far as the lights that's easy. Just hot wire the plow relay with a toggle switch and now you have plow only headlights

3. xgiovannix12

yes I was thinking of doing that,

Also here is the plow picture off craigslist... [​IMG]

should look nice after a good clean up. MY worry's is the cable system. I wanna make that frame detachable. Issue is the cables dont come off very easy. unless they have something to do that.

OR is there a way to hook up an electric remote to an older motor?

4. dieselss

Just saying you know that the whole setup is a meyes right?? Besides the pump being a western. As far as removable...not that set up. It's bolt to the frame

5. xgiovannix12

yup after some research I found out the frame is meyers and the blade and pump are western. Every thing will work great, Just wondering what I can do about the cable situation.

6. dieselss

No the blade is Meyers as well. Western never made a blade with the angle iron ribs like that.
    Sorry to say but right now nothing bout the cable set up. There has been talk round the plowsite bout switching the cable plow to an electric one...never heard anything come outta it tho. We have a cable shell and I've looked but that's been about it

7. xgiovannix12

Ive been searching on the forum for a related thread.... I gotta admit I made a bargin off this deal tho.

Its a nice setup. I payed 250 bucks for every thing and a few injurys. My dad dropped the blade on his foot. sadly the tailgate did not lock in the pickup. thanks for the info tho

8. dieselss

No prob. I'd say that I might be better to go with it like it is right now,,,that after money has been made,,,upgrade

9. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Not trying to be a jerk, but you REALLY need to look at this meyer plow closely. From the pictures you posted, it looks to me the blade is leaning too far back, telling me the rearward trip stops are broke and/or the bottom pivot pins are froze up. With someone standing on the rear frame, you should be able to grab the top of the moldboard and pull it foward. Play in the tripsprings will also be an indication of this. If the pins are froze up, I've seen many times on a Meyer where they need to be cut ogg and new ones welded in. Good luck, and post some more side view pictures so we can see if this is the case.

10. xgiovannix12

its disconnected from the frame. I had every thing put together before buying it... every thing looked well.