1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some questions about a 97 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dubeb31, Dec 11, 2005.

1. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

hey i'm currently looking at a 1997 F250 4x4 w/MM1 pushplates and wiring but no plow, stainless ladder rack, CD stereo, A/C, brand new cooper discoverer s/t tires(great tread pattern), 76,XXX miles for only $3999...my questions are if any one uses a truck like this and what do they think about it? and if any MM1 hydro/electric setup will fit onto the truck?...thanks Ben

2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Light Or Heavy?

IN 1997 FORD MADE A LIGHT DUTY f-250 THAT LOOKED LIKE THE F-150. IS IT THAT KIND OR A SUPER DUTY? A USED PLOW TRUCK IS JUST THAT:confused: IF IT RUNS GOOD FOR THE PRICE WHY NOT.

3. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

nope it's a SuperDuty...i can't believe i found it...but for 4k with only 76k miles...how can ya go wrong...now i just have to find a hydro-electric plow

4. BDB

BDB Senior Member

You can keep it as a back-up too. Your other MM2 should work on it.

5. BDB

BDB Senior Member

I lied I thought it was a MM2...Not the MM1. Had a brain fart.:dizzy:

6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The weak link in the F250HD was the TTB front axle. Rather expensive when it comes to repair or alignment.

7. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

If it is the old Body style it is a HD if new body style it is a LD. I have the HD version and it is a work horse. If you need to get parts for it make sure that they order parts for a 96 F250HD. 9 times out of 10 they will send the wrong parts if you tell them it is a 97.

The price is about 4000 low so there is a reason for that you need to find out why. According to KBB that truck should list for around 9000

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look at the drivers door build tag it will have alot of info on it. The big thing is to look for leaks,rust outs of stuff.

9. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

ya i forgot about the front axle....plus ford's in those years tend to develop exhaust leaks...i think i'll stick with the GMC's and Chevy's

10. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I work at a rental company we have a 97 with a 5.8 and a 5 spd. Let me tell ya im not a ford man but im impressed with this truck. It has 180k had the crap beat out of it and still runs good. Not a whole lot of power but it gets the job done.

11. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I will assume it only has a small gas engine in it. I have had a few of this bady style truck and no unusual exhaust leaks.

12. MickiRig1

I have rusted out exhaust manifolds on my 5.8 .. Alot of the exhaust leaks come from the emissions piping. Like the air injection system and the EGR pipe off the exhaust manifold.

13. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Sorry my mistake, I got distracted while typing my last reply. I meant to say I have owned a few of these OBS trucks but they were all diesels so they had no unusual exhaust leaks.

14. MickiRig1

My truck has been a plow truck it's whole life all kinds of stuff has rusted out.
    Some of the emissions piping has rusted out too. I repaired them with threaded plumbing parts and soldered up new air injection pipes from copper pipe. Hense the name---> MickiRig1 It works and it's lasted!