1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some plowers just have no courtesy.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PerfiCut L&L, Feb 13, 2006.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

I have one property (commercial) that has about 400' of sidewalk down the front and along the side next to the road. Directly across the street is a small business office with a small lot, maybe 150' x 200'. Anyhow, the guy that plows it pushes some of the snow out of the lot, across the street, and onto my sidewalk. Last storm we had he did this, which needless to say pissed me off, but fortunately it wasnt a lot of snow, 2 may 3 inches worth. I never saw him and was aware of this practice going into this storm. So I kept my eye for him, and was going to give him a polite reminder that I dont need any more snow on my sidewalks, thank you.

Well, he did it again. On my first visit to this site, sure enough, there was a small pile of snow on my sidewalk, and he was no where to be seen. So blew the snow off the sidewalk and with the truck pushed it into the center of his lot. Sort of a small jesture, here's your snow back, find some place other than my sidewalk to put it on. Well, the game is on. When I arrived back at this lot near the end of the storm, sure as ****, a 4' high pile, about 25' wide on my sidewalks. Needless to say, I am more that pissed. All I can say, is wait til it snows again, my friend.

Still have never seen this idiot.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

What a Jerk ok push the pile back and add water or block him in then add cauation tape around site to make the point. Or talk to prob owner and tell them what is going on.

3. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

what I would do is call the property manager or owner of that site, and find out who there contracted with and get his number. I would then give the guy a call let him know who you are and let him know that pushing snow across the street is illegal. If he wants to be narrowminded about the situation then I would let him know next time it happens your going to get his tag number and report it to law enforcement. or what you could do is let the business manager/owner know whats happening and maybe he could tell his contractor to stack his snow somewhere else

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I would send the buisness across the street a bill for the removal of their snow from your sidewalk. With a heafty mark-up of course. Get some pictures of this happening, or pay someone to take them if you're not there. And, oh my gosh, the pictures get mailed to the police. Hopefully it is illegal to push snow across the street in your area. Otherwise know anyone with a loader???:gunsfiring:

5. PerfiCut L&L

Actually, if it snowed tonite I would probably bring in about 6 dump truck loads of snow from my other sites and share it with him, filling his lot up front to bacl. left to right. I'd even pay a crew to keep bringing it in all night long.

However, I probably will end up bringing it to the attention of the property manager so that it can get passed on to the contractor. The bill idea is a good one too. Gawd help him (or her) if it happens again after that though.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You got what you asked for. Two wrongs don't make a right. You probably could have acquired his number without too much trouble and just asked him not to push it onto your walk as you have enough already.

7. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

I have had a similar problem with a guy plowing a comm lot straight across from my house. In Dec. I went out plowing at 4am, got a call from the wife a 9am saying she can't get out to the baby's doctor appointment because this genius plowed across the road and created a 3 foot high 12 foot diameter pile in the end of my driveway. I confronted the prop owner and told him to call the idiot. He says he doesn't know who plowed his lot as he has 4 or 5 guys that do it, and its whoever gets there first!! I finally caught the guys two weeks later, I was home when he did it, I promptly went out started my jeep and put it back in the lot while he was still there!!:gunsfiring:

8. PerfiCut L&L

I dont see how I asked for anything. All I did was put one blades worth of snow in the center of his lot. Sort of a, "hey, would you mind finding some other place for your snow" gesture. All he had to do was push it strait in against the back row of his lot where he had a pile to beigin with. I've never seen the guy, otherwise I would have asked him nicely and it wouldnt have been a abig deal.

9. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Man you screwed up when you pushed the first blade full back into the middle of his lot. You SHOULD have pushed it up onto the sidewalk like he did for you, maybe just maybe he would have relized how much work it was to get it off of the sidewalk like you had to do. I also think you should send the owner or manager of the lot a nice invoice for removing their snow from your sidewalk.

10. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

had that happen a few years back with a bar next door to a lawn equipment shop i did ..... well every good turn deserved another hehee .... my buddy had a 200 foot garden hose that was attached to the back of his building .. well one night we directed it to the parking lot of the bar ... at about 3 am ... we turn on the hose . and steady stream of water flowed on the lot .. needless to say the next day we recieved about 6 inches of snow ... guess who had a rough time plowing .. hehehe ..

11. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

def push the snow back but this time block his entrances and throw water on the snow. What an smuck:realmad:

12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No big deal, you had to put the snow from your sidewalks somewhere, you know where it came from so put it back there. I would not have left it in the middle though, Id of found an existing pile or found a suitable place to pile. No you should not have to do that. I know its upsetting when you are doing the right thing and some idiot who does not abide by the law wants to play games instead of thinking hmm maybe Iam doing something I should not be doing. Get out of the revenge mode, if your serious about the dumptrucks, do you know how much trouble you would get in if someone slipped and fell? The first thing I would do is IMMEDIATELY contact the property manager and let him know whats going on THEN make sure to talk to whoever plows it about your concerns. I totally understand why you put the snow in the middle of his lot in the snowstorm, you have better things to do then chase idiots down in the middle of a storm but now its a major problem that could get you in trouble and you need to take action tommrrow during business hours. The games cant continue, its the customers and business that will ultimately pay for that.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sounds like the Hatfield and McCoys with snowplows. You could waste a lot of time and energy feuding that should be spent making you money. If this escalates you could find nasty little surprises hidden in the snow, flat tires or worse could occur. Find out who it is an talk to him. Advise him that you have pictures of him doing this and will guaranty that if there's a slip and fall he will be included in the law suit, Tell both property managers the same thing. Also bill him and the property manager for your clean up time, I'm betting the property manager will solve your problem. Photo the sidewalk after you clean them, note the time on your run sheets, and keep a careful eye on them afterwards. If you are pushing snow into his lot you are opening yourself up to be included in any lawsuit, which it sounds like he is headed for if he is that unprofessional, you don't want included in his problems. Do it all calmly and without rancor, remember the winner is the guy who keeps his head when all about him are losing theirs. Good Luck

14. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Two choices:

1. Speak to property OWNER. Not manager, not his brother, deal directly with the owner. Explain the situation. Probably can be solved over a cup of coffee. If property owner is not nice, explain that it will cost $250/hr. to remove his snow from your accounts sidewalks and distribute it elsewhere.

2. Tell property owner that it is illegal to push snow across a street (hopefully) and that you will turn in the plower and him because he knows about it, to the police. Pictures would help in this case.

Hopefully property owner will cooperate, otherwise tell him :realmad:

15. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I agree with whats been said.Pictures,police,property management.Go that route if at all possible.If all else fails send him bird hunting with Mr Cheney:gunsfiring:

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

do exactly what Snowmatt13 lists- NEVER push the snow back in a tit for tat war- you break the law same as him you become responsible too. It's not plower versus plower in reality, it's property owner versus property owner. It's not really you're beef, even though you're responsible for removal of the snow- it's the property owner that you're working for. YOU need to talk to the property owner of the offending plower and explain the situation. Not only can the plower get fined but the owner has some legal ramifications for hiring him.

Dumping loads of snow in his property as retaliation makes YOU liable for illegal dumping.

If the property owner doesn't see it your way (odds are he will) talk to the local law enforcement- they will definatly see it your way.

17. PerfiCut L&L

The storm has calmed down now and I think Ive come to a conlcusion. I stopped by the business this A.M. (closed) so I left a note for the property manager to contact me as soon as possible regarding their service providers actions. (not sure if they'll call or not) but this is the first step. Next step will be to stop by in person during normal operating hours.

I'll talk to the PM about the issue, very politely, and will emphasize our operating practices, and professionalism. At the same time I'll offer to take over the service of their property if they want someone with a reputable background, good references, and professional work ethics.

Otherwise, it will be duly noted, and they will have been officialy notified. Further incident's will result in further legal action.

See... just needed to vent a little is all. - Thanks guys'

18. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

Off topic, but nice logo perfi-cut!

19. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

This is what I would do. Contact the property manager of that site.

Then, bury 5-6 cinder blocks under the snow next to the curb where he pushes his snow onto your property. Cover it with snow. Now what he thinks that he's pushing to the curb BAMMM. Block city.

20. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I do a medium sized horseshoe driveway. There is a house directly across from one end that must have a driveway 250 feet long. Guess what... all that snow somehow made its way onto the driveway I had to do. Not only did I have to deal with my 18" of snow on a fairly hard driveway, I has to deal with this other guys! I went to the house across the street and told the guy that lived there that if his plow guy wanted to do that again, I'd make sure that I got there first next time. The house owner said he was really sorry and offered my $10 hahahaha... I told him it wasn't his fault. I also noticed a lot of dumb moves out there during the height of the storm. I saw a lot more people doing fishtails and skidding than usual. Might have just been me. I just think that is not the smartest things to be doing with a 700 pound plow on the front of your truck!:nono: