1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some pics and vids of the Pontiac plow wagon

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wagonman76, Jan 4, 2008.

1. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/wagonman76/Plowing%2012-29-07/

This is the 4th season with the little plow and it still works good. For this season I found these cable chains at the Salvation Army for $4, shortened them to fit my tires, and installed them.

These pics and vids are from last weekend. The wife was borrowing her moms fancy camera and we got a storm so we figured lets try a little bit of video.

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

looks good

3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

That thing is just amazing.

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

so you going to bid on some commericial work with it? get some contracts?

5. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Nice... Just goes to show you people will put a plow on anything:D

6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

thats great, I would have never thought that would be possible. Good luck, and very interesting.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It may be good for a drive but I am not impressed at all.

You do at least three times the work then you would with a normal plow set-up.
    The lot you seem to be doing is a complete mess and no where near down to pavement.
    By doing all the extra pushing and moving you are also over working that car.

Like I said it looks like a good idea for one drive maybe even a long country drive but all I see is a car making a mess of things. It also looks like you are doing more then that contraption can handle.

Sometimes building things should wait until after the beer headache is gone.

A beat ta heck s-10 and a piece of plywood would do a better job in my opine.

8. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

yeah well, I still enjoy the Red Green Show and Wagonman, you bring a smile to some of us just the same.:drinkup:

9. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

well i see pavement in the pictures. its his car he can do whatever he wants with it. and i would absolutely love to see you put a piece of plywood on an s-10 and do a better job. i mean come on man its no 3/4 ton truck with 4x4 and a setup weighing in at 8000 lbs. what he's got is doing just fine.

10. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

That's absolutely hillarious......

Looks like it works fairly well......

Nice job on the fabrication.....

Work with what you've got.....

I love it:drinkup:

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Whoever said he could not do what he wanted?

I don't care if he mounts 4 shovels across the front and tries to do whatever it is he is trying to do.

I was commenting on the whole of it all.

You see this is the INTERNET.
    People post their stuff and others comment on it.

Some of those comments are practical views from another person.

Those may not agree with others.

It is not a pat on the back club for something most would never do.

For what he is doing like I said he is over working the vehicle and doing a job that looks like someone just pushed snow all over till it was all packed down.

It is of no concern to me if he tries to bulldoze dirt with the thing.

You see I was just commenting my thoughts and nothing else.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Much better then shoveling!!:drinkup:

13. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

The setup works well for personal use, which is all it will ever get used for. This is the 4th season using it, and it sure beats shoveling, which I did for many years here. There is no pavement, it is a rutted dirt driveway. The dirt is softer next to the house where I park the cars, which I assume is why it scrapes better there. As for the rest of it, the darkness peeking up through the snow is the dirt, so it does scrape reasonably well for a lightweight plow. I also do not salt, and light snow gets driven on a lot. I push the snow way back so I dont run out of room by the end of winter. As a bonus the kids like playing on the snowbanks.

I actually did put some thought and design process into it. I wanted something light, simple, strong, and inexpensive, that the car could handle, and something where I didnt have to get out and manually raise/lower/angle the blade. Thats why I went with a shallow fixed V with a cheap little ATV winch. I do agree that the job takes longer than it would with an adjustable V or straight blade, since I can only use half the blade at a time to windrow. But I can push through any storm I have encountered, the most so far being a foot of thick drifted snow, and 8" of wet heavy snow. I have thought about designing a powered V, if I could build it light, inexpensive, and strong enough.

I agree, plowing is hard on any vehicle. Thats why I chose this one. I already know the vehicle history. It has always been a great car in the snow, and has a lot of low end torque for towing and plowing. Before plowing with it, I drove it for 9 years and put almost 200k miles on it, in addition to the 60k that it initially had. After that it started getting pretty rusty, and I got another 6000 wagon as my daily driver. The plow wagon does not owe me a dime.

If this was for a business, even for money on the side, it would be completely ludicrous. But for my own driveway, I think it is a pretty good setup. I really like it. A lot of people seem to either love it or hate it. I respect all opinions, good or bad.

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

And thats all I meant.

Good for a drive or 2 or maybe a long drive but not much else.

What I don't understand though is if you have had it a while then why not figure out the best way to plow and make one side more of a scoop and not the V.

Say you had it worked where you always pushed to the left. Then you could straighten out the right side or make it more of a scoop so you were using more of the blade at one time.

With as many pipe fittings as you have on it I cant imagine it being to tough to turn a few forward.

15. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

that is awsome! love it lol

idk bout you guys but during the winter i never see pavment in lots or on driveways, theres allways a nice 1-2" snow/ice pack on the pavement. course we dont salt here which may be why..im not sure just that line got me..

16. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

The thought of doing some modifications has certainly gone through my mind. I do want to keep a V, since I want to make sure I can push through the deeper storms we have gotten in the past and are bound to get again. I read about guys pushing through deep snow with a V with ease, rather than "fighting with a straight blade". I have thought about making a detachable wing for the right side, since I do usually start at the right and push left. I have also thought a lot about an adjustable V blade, maybe using scavenged trailer jacks and starter motors for actuators. I built the plow from pipe fittings because I could not weld at the time; I can now. There are lots of things I could do. I always have more ideas than time and money.

However I am in no big hurry to work on it. It is already so much better than shoveling or even snowblowing, it makes me feel like the issue of snow removal is solved for now. Maybe sometime when I dont have a lot to do, Ill make up something to improve it.

17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I think it is a heck of a cool setup wagon man!

18. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I like it and if it works for you, It is a great setup.

due you leave the plow on all year long or take it off in the summer time and use the car as a backup DD at all?

How long does it take to hookup/unhook from the car?

I love the More Ideas then time or Money, line.

sometimes Motvation comes in also.

19. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Keep going

This is how all the new things come about. People like you trying new things on cars. Some like then, some don't, but I bet you had, and still have fun using it, and that is all that matters. Thanks for sharing it with us. I wish I could have the time it took to make it.

20. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

Pretty dang funny, you have got to have to much time on your hands to come up with something like that. Look like it worked ok. The blade had be off an ATV, just kidding.