1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some People???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Waterchikn, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Got a call from the manager at one of the lots that I do. He says he will no longer need my services because he found someone else that is cheaper. I am not under contract with them, just as it snows. Well, after the first storm, I had to see what was done, and surprise, surprise.... nothing. I usually never let the snow accumulate over 1inch. Plus I do the walks keeping them ice free and wet pavement. After seeing the 4 inches of hardpack on the lot and walkways, I just had to think to myself, SOME PEOPLE!
    I guess you get what you pay for! Now I just have to get what they owe me... should I tell the new plower, as I do know him and I also know that most of his employees don't care what time they get to a site.. just wondering if I should let this go and wait and see if they pay (its been 35 days) or should I tell the new guy the deal...????

It still took a 38 Degree day to clear that lot... makes me sick
  2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

In my opinion, the hell with the new guy. I would contact the manager directly, and ask why haven't they paid you yet. Tell them you want to be paid, your going on 35 days, 1/2 of my bus. accounts are on a net 30 basis, after that we add 10%. I usually never have any late accounts. I would tell him you are going to add a late fee if he doesn't remit payment in a reasonable amount of time. If that is one thing that frys me, it being undercut by someone, and then waiting forever for that bus. to pay you.

Good luck
  3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Sorry to say this, but your fault for not having a contract in place....
  4. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

contract or not get the money

reading your post gotta kinda ask why no contract second what kinda of manager of any buss would let 4in of snow set in the lot and most of all to all the ##### people that have nothing more than one of my old worn out trucks and no insurance you may screw us once but not twice i bet you get this place back trust me you will. Be proffess with this buss when collecting what he owes you i only say that cause with the poor service hes getting know it only makes you look better and of course when you do make him sign a contract.

ps whats the deal with the motorcity having the states record on snow this year just kidding happy someone in mich is getting some. fred pickering
  5. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Even though you did not have a contract:( I would still write a letter (for proof) stating how long you are giving them to pay you. If you did make a verbal arrangement for payment I would state that in the letter as well. Like Fred said, be professional and in your letter, also you might consider including a contract as an offering for your services again, let them know you were witness to what happened with the last snowfall and are still willing to assist. If the account if its worth it to you? You might just get it back that way.

Just my 2....
  6. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I would send a letter, idicating it has been over 30 days. Follow this up with a visit asking if you can pick up a check, see what his response is like. 8/10 times he will have probably "forgotten" and you'll get a check right away. If that doesn't work, send a letter threatening that you'll send the account to a collection agency. 9/10 times this will work, and you'll just have to give the collection agency a percentage. Most businesses don't want a small thing like this ruining their credit rating. If all else fails, drop in weekly to "pick up your check" and he will get so sick of you he'll finally pay. (It works). So in summary start off nice giving hime the benefit of the doubt, then get annoying.
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Do you have anything on paper with this guy? If not, why?

I understand he still owes you money, but with nothing on paper, I would say you very well could be SOL. I can't, off the top of my head, think of having any type of service provided for me and not sign some type of work order. The days of someones word or a handshake are gone, plain and simple. If you stand in small claims court with this guy, what proof do you have he owes you money? What is your defense? I just don't understand the reasoning for not having some type of formal, or informal work order or agreement paper to sign. I don't even do work for friends or family without a contract. I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, but hopefully you take this as a lesson learned and get people signed on contracts. That's what a professional service does, signed and agreed upon contracts. Then there is a paper trail that will help you in these situations.
  8. Temco

Temco Member

Remember the old saying "if it isn't in writing, it didn't happen"
    As far as running around bad mouthing people, i'd rather spend the free time you have to do this promoting my business to other prospective customers. There also could be a logical expanation for not paying yet...maybe he's having tuff times too and you can work something out........better to find out first before you put your foot in your mouth.
  9. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Even in writing he could say you never showed or did the work incorrectly . SO you must get him to sign off on EACH job.(storm)...... that it was done satisfactorly then you will have a leg to stand on in court . contracts dont help that you actually did the work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Putting it back

Heres one Idea I had. Taking some snow and putting it back into the lot. That would surprise them in the morning. But I would probably get in alittle trouble with that route. I spoke with him today and he is just an a$$. He has to submit my bill to his "Headquarters" and they send the money. I just can't wait for a good storm, when they call and BEG for service. They thought they didn't like my price before. Everything is going to work out good for me, bad for them. Oh well, on to the next.
    Because of the limited and sporatic amout of snow we get here, people don't like to sign contracts, but i did make it clear what would be done and when, and he did agree.
  11. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I could care less if you live in Mexico and it snows you need a contract.
    Words are only words untill you have it on paper (worded the proper way)....
    So you only receive so much snow. You need to cover your a$$ if it does snow.
    When you get burried & he's calling you up to plow, get it in writing before you even think about droping the blade.
    Personally I would never even concider talking to & dealing with the bozo again...

Good luck with whatever happens & call this a learning experience as to how to deal with com. customers. Sorry If I sound a bit harsh...

Everyone I have is on a contract except 1 old guy I plow when he calls. Yeah, he give me a few bucks for plowing but I'd do it for free w/ the amount he tips durring the summer months.
  12. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

write a professional letter to him with a description of your verbal agreement and a request for immediate payment. Also put "cc: you lawyer's name here". Send a copy to your lawyer (or at least put it down that you did and they may take it more seriously.
  13. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I had to update everyone on this thread, I know its old, but there have been a number of slip and falls at this property since I havn't been the plow contractor for this site. One of the employees asked if "they" have called me back yet. I simply replied:
    "This company doesn't have enough money for my services now, they should have realized that they get what they pay for."
    That makes me feel great. I am just glad that I logged the phone call when he said that my services were no longer needed. Can't wait to use it in one of those slip and fall cases. Its not going to make him look very good.
    I thank you all for the great advice, the plowing just gets better with the info that I can get here!!