1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some people

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJ Contracting, Feb 22, 2005.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

After a long night and day of plowing and hearing my phone ring constantly with both two way and phone calls, I get a call from my brother in-law ( which has a plow) saying that a co-workers mother and sisters driveway needs plowing. So whats the problem? The driveways are two counties over, and both are 600' long and she used to pay someone $35.00 Each. So I call her to ask her why this guy isn't plowing, she said he sold his truck. (gee i wonder why?) I ask if she wants me to come out and plow, she said yes. Then I told her that it would cost her $150.00. Needless to say i didn't not get the job (oh Darn). Sorry i needed to vent
  2. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

And the worst part is, then she'll find some dooooofus to do it for $35 and think you are some over-priced jerk.

I find it funny how people move into houses with mega-driveways in the middle of the "snowbelt", then think its YOUR fault that you actually CHARGE them to plow their driveway.
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I stopped trying to explain to these people about insurance, quality of work ,and all that goes with plowing. She did call me back and said that she found someone I said great and went back to sleep.
  4. scagster

scagster Member
    from n.ohio

we plow commrecial accounts and several freebies on the way home around 11a.m. inlaws friends ect... they get so that they expect you to do it. lord forbid you have abreakdown or are just too beat down to do it. they will actually call my shop and ask if i am going to plow
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I make sure not to do any freebies regularly- makes them rely on someone else and my stopping by is a bonus not expected. Incidently, if they have a plower I will not do a freebie unless he's MIA (as in they have told me he's missing and was supposed to be here x hours ago... and never on the phone always in person)- I only do freebies for those who have to shovel or snowblower.