1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some people just are never happy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We usually use the ol' 1x1 wooden 4ft stakes painted orange on the top 6" or so. Well, after hearing people bitching and complaining about damage to their cars from either backing over them or opening car doors and scratching their cars all up :confused: we decided to invest in smaller plastic unbreakable ones. These are literally unbreakable and bright orange, thinking I was doing them a favor, they called to complain they can barley see them because they're not as big as the ones we used to use. Now I have to go buy the crappy wooden ones remove the "good ones" and replace with wooden ones. Not a big deal but.....just when you think your doing something better for some customer's.

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

why do they need to see them anyway :confused: . i had a guy put 3/4 inch rebar and paint it orange to mark his drive :dizzy: i was very careful not to mess up my truck by hitting them :nod:

3. Brian Young

Yeah I don't know. Its not for their purpose it's for my purpose so as long as I can see them and know where they are who cares right.

4. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

And if you use the nice ones every one steels them :realmad:

5. Brian Young

Haven't had that yet but I'm sure it happens.

6. Deco

Deco Senior Member

brian , after every election day i collect all the "vote for" signs and chop the steel up for stake markers and tie fluorescent ribbon on them . beats $1.99 a stake , huh ?
    so , anyways , i get the same nonsense from employees at the sites i service .
    usually comes down to , "there for my reference , not yours".:dizzy:

so , hang in there big guy ussmileyflag

i also used to use painted RE-BAR , which was not very car friendly ....hehehehe

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

if it was me, i would be phoning and asking, what markers they would like, sounds a little stupid to me that they complain about everything. Had a similar problem last year where we ran out of places to put snow at a condo, then they told me to put it in visitor parking, then they were pissed because it was there, then they didn't want snow hauled away (to expensive) so when i showed up at a condo meeting, and asked where they would like the snow next time it snows, i received a bunch of blank looks, DUH. went on to quote my contract "it is up to the manager to show the contractor where snow is to be located" so i said until that happens i refuse to remove any more snow, needless to say they ended up having me haul it. Moral of the story, "if you are going to complain about something, have a solution in mind too"

8. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Scratching their car on a 1x1 piece of WOOD!?!?! Are they stoopid?

9. Premier

Premier Senior Member

maybe you should have just told them that they mark where you are not supposed to drive, so there cars shouldnt be hitting them. I had one account i was doing landscape work for, could never figure out who was driving accross our fresh work every day, we put in some huge boulders to stop this, the next day a nurse that worked there threatend to sue me because we put some boulders in her way and she hit them, they were 4 feet off the parking lot!! :gunsfiring: start charging them for the markers, i get 1.99 for every marker i put out, they seem to not disapear so fast if at all, at the end of the season they get a credit on there last bill after i have collected them if they want to hold them till next season then they dont get any money back. works out nicely.

10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I would have explained that the markers are soley for YOUR use in plowing operations, and they work just fine for your needs.

I have added a provision that we reserve the right to mark with any type of stake we choose, or not at all... either way we cover any damage. You are right about the fact that no matter what you use, someone will complain.

11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Big is right, they're for you, not the client. We use wood too, people do complain. We tell them our bidding includes the wooden stakes, if they'd like the nice fiberglass ones we'll purchase and install them as long as they pay us for all the one missing in the spring, as people around here are notorious for stealing them and using them at home, or kids like to take them and throw them in the woods,streams or town/county roads where they end up getting plowed away and not recovered. Ussually they say, woods fine in that case.