1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some opinions /advice please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Madman Mark, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Madman Mark

Madman Mark Junior Member

Im planning on getting a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck in the next couple of months ( an 02,03 or an 04 ). The last one I had was an F-250 from the 90's. I cant decide between another F-250 or a Dodge 2500, although I really like the looks of the Dodge and I read on hear that they have a tougher front axle. This truck will be used for plowing about 20 driveways in the winter and also for hauling about 50 cords of split hardwood per year......1 cord per load (stacked with sideboards). It will also be used for short trips around the neighborhood,hunting and fishing. What would make the better work truck out of the 2 for these duties ?? Gas, diesel ?? Standard,auto ?? Etc ...Etc... Im hoping the Dodge, I've had 4 Fords over the years and want something different. Can you give me some pros and cons of each truck please.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Gas, A/T, and a Ford.
    Gas is cheaper to maintain and for short trips. Auto trans is easier to plow with and I just like Fords better. JMO

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Depending on the wood of course, you're gonna likely be way overloaded with a cord of wood in the back...assuming you can actually get a cord in. A full size truck with a long bed will hold about a half cord stacked neatly and mounded up. With sides you obviously increase your volume, but a cord of Oak weight close to 3 tons, so be careful.

4. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

either truck you listed would work well for what you want to do. I am a Dodge man myself, they have served me well. Asking a question like this on an open forum, most ford owners will say ford, most dodge owners will say dodge. I say get what you like, you are going to be driving it for the next 20 years.

5. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

honestly if that is what you are looking to do then i would go with the F350 or 3500. They do not get any worse gas mileage but have more payload. My father has an F250 and I have an F350; the one ton has MUCH much higher payload capacity and can handle the cord of wood much better. Either one ton truck will suit you best but i would reccomend sticking with the ford because of the added reliability. Dodges seem to break down much more often, this is not judging because that is what i have, but judging by everyone i know and what they have..